Solar panels and battery to get unlimited range ...

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I think you need to re-read the OP. At no point did it say to counter normal vampire drain. Nice strawman though.
I'm the one that said it was necessary to counter normal vampire drain if you are going to slowly add to the battery's SOC. That's a fact.

It seems you are just trying to pick something you think you can argue about, now that you have been shown to wrong about being able to charge from the sun while boondocking.
Sponsored

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
You have obviously never done this.

Your battery generator will start charging in the morning as soon as your panels start producing. As production increases, you start charging the car, set the charging current to whatever the panels are producing. Leave it there all day and stop charging when there is no longer enough light and the battery in the solar generator discharges to 30-60%.

Once you actually do it, you will start to understand. Modify the proceedure to fit your individual needs. If you need to maximize production, you can change the orientation of the panels one or more times through the day, otherwise you can just lay them flat on the ground or face them south (depending upon your latitude and time of year).

Rocket science it ain't.
So let's get down to details.
What voltage and current are you charging the vehicle at?
What's the max capacity (voltage and current or watts) of the solar panels?

A little tidbit to think about, Day 2. What state are the batteries?

Kuiper__Belt

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck - Cyberbeast
Occupation
Telehealth Solutions Architect
Country flag
The real best solution would be a modification that allowed you to plug in panels directly to a solar controller feeding 800v to your truck's battery. But that's a problem that has yet to have off the shelf solutions.

-Crissa
Hey @Crissa do you think there could be a way to directly plug a solar controller into where the official CT battery extender will plug in? I feel like that might be the way to create a permanent/semi permanent solution for solar charging and maybe even continuous charging even when driving. Of course it would be slow and not really prolong range while driving but still neat.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Hey @Crissa do you think there could be a way to directly plug a solar controller into where the official CT battery extender will plug in? I feel like that might be the way to create a permanent/semi permanent solution for solar charging and maybe even continuous charging even when driving. Of course it would be slow and not really prolong range while driving but still neat.
I'm not @Crissa but the answer here is relatively easy.

It's an 800V connection. That takes a significant set of inverters and probably panels to implement.

But the biggest is that overcoming the safety hazards is going be a significant issue. Whatever inverter is installed will have to be permanent and go through a LOT of testing from Tesla to allow it to be energized.
This is one of those areas in which Tesla requires the battery to be discharged before the technicians are allowed to get close with special protective gear.

In other words, possibility, yes, probability, no, feasibility next to 0.

To look at that in a different way, Tesla current does support charging of their vehicles using solar. It's part of the Powerwall, Solar Panels, and Solar roof solution line. It's even supported in the app.

Tesla Cybertruck Solar panels and battery to get unlimited range ... 1718731863052-qc

Darthamerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast and Model S P90D
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm the one that said it was necessary to counter normal vampire drain if you are going to slowly add to the battery's SOC. That's a fact.

It seems you are just trying to pick something you think you can argue about, now that you have been shown to wrong about being able to charge from the sun while boondocking.
Yes it’s a fact that you created the strawman. But that’s not what I’m talking about. Instead I’m assessing the technical merits of using solar panels to give CT unlimited range per the OP. The answer is that while technically possible, it’s neither practical, cost effective or safe. That’s it. Unless you think otherwise what is there to argue here? If you do think otherwise, how?

Playing devil’s advocate, I’ve complied a list of products you’d need to buy in order to make the attempt. Under ideal conditions, here’s what it would take:

1. Solar Panels (10 x 200W)
- Cost per Panel: $400
- Total Cost: $4,000
- Total Weight: 50 kg (110 lbs)
2. Secondary Battery (5 x Bluetti AC200P)
- Cost per Unit: $1,800
- Total Cost: $9,000
- Total Weight: 137.5 kg (303 lbs)
3. Inverter (Pure Sine Wave Inverter)
- Cost: $400
- Weight: 5 kg (11 lbs)
4. Charge Controller (MPPT Solar Charge Controller)
- Cost: $200
- Weight: 2 kg (4.4 lbs)
5. Miscellaneous Components (Cables and Connectors)

Summary

- Total Cost: $13,800
- Total Weight: 433.8 lbs (excluding food/water/shelter/gear/spare tire)
- Effective Power Generated per Day: 9.6 kWh (considering efficiency)

With this system, you’d theoretically be able to go about ~200 miles away from a charging source with a 20% reserve. It would take almost two weeks(11 days) of charging from solar panels to get back! Remember, this assumes that weather and location are cooperative and you’re not using the vehicle at all besides getting to the boondocks and back. By the way, this cost almost the same as Tesla’s extra battery option and would occupy 30-50% of the cargo space.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So let's get down to details.
What voltage and current are you charging the vehicle at?
We use 240V for all of our vehicles.

What's the max capacity (voltage and current or watts) of the solar panels?
We haven't been using solar to charge because we haven't done any extended boondocking. It was a simple test, to make sure it worked.

A little tidbit to think about, Day 2. What state are the batteries?
I'll assume you are asking about the state of charge of the battery generator on the beginning of day 2?

It's not really critical, but if you read what I wrote, you would see I was suggesting stopping the vehicle charging when the battery generator had drawn down to 30-60% SOC depending upon local factors, whether you were going to use it to cook dinner or run an electric blanket at night, etc.

I'm not sure what you are getting at, this isn't rocket science. And it works. Why are you so skeptical? You remind me of the character in Scooby-Doo who always said, "It'll never work", whenever the rest of the team had a good idea.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes it’s a fact that you created the strawman. But that’s not what I’m talking about. Instead I’m assessing the technical merits of using solar panels to give CT unlimited range per the OP. The answer is that while technically possible, it’s neither practical, cost effective or safe. That’s it. Unless you think otherwise what is there to argue here? If you do think otherwise, how?

Playing devil’s advocate, I’ve complied a list of products you’d need to buy in order to make the attempt. Under ideal conditions, here’s what it would take:

1. Solar Panels (10 x 200W)
- Cost per Panel: $400
- Total Cost: $4,000
- Total Weight: 50 kg (110 lbs)
2. Secondary Battery (5 x Bluetti AC200P)
- Cost per Unit: $1,800
- Total Cost: $9,000
- Total Weight: 137.5 kg (303 lbs)
3. Inverter (Pure Sine Wave Inverter)
- Cost: $400
- Weight: 5 kg (11 lbs)
4. Charge Controller (MPPT Solar Charge Controller)
5. Miscellaneous Components (Cables and Connectors)

Summary

- Total Cost: $13,800
- Total Weight: 433.8 lbs (excluding food/water/shelter/gear/spare tire)
- Effective Power Generated per Day: 9.6 kWh (considering efficiency)

With this system, you’d theoretically be able to go about ~200 miles away from a charging source with a 20% reserve. It would take almost two weeks(11 days) of charging from solar panels to get back! Remember, this assumes that weather and location are cooperative and you’re not using the vehicle at all besides getting to the boondocks and back. By the way, this cost almost the same as Tesla’s extra battery option and would occupy 30-50% of the cargo space.
Don't ever go into the business of solar equipment consulting! LOL!

It's clear that you haven't a clue how this works. You've never used a battery generator. Sigh. I would help you out here had you not been so abrasive and arrogant.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
No. The most practical way to charge the Cybertruck in the field is via the included Mobile Connector and the Cybertruck's charge port.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
We use 240V for all of our vehicles.

We haven't been using solar to charge because we haven't done any extended boondocking. It was a simple test, to make sure it worked.

I'll assume you are asking about the state of charge of the battery generator on the beginning of day 2?

It's not really critical, but if you read what I wrote, you would see I was suggesting stopping the vehicle charging when the battery generator had drawn down to 30-60% SOC depending upon local factors, whether you were going to use it to cook dinner or run an electric blanket at night, etc.

I'm not sure what you are getting at, this isn't rocket science. And it works. Why are you so skeptical? You remind me of the character in Scooby-Doo who always said, "It'll never work", whenever the rest of the team had a good idea.
I really don't care what you charge with at home. I'm talking about your boondock camping.

You did a test? What was the outcome of that test?

And yes you seems to assume that on Day 1 the battery is full and that the battery will keep the inverter from power cycling. But at the end of day 1 the battery was drained. So on day 2 it's empty. And dependent on the numbers that I asked for, may never get enough solar to charge. That's what's called a power budget. Total up the goes-ins and the goes-outs.

Darthamerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Don't ever go into the business of solar equipment consulting! LOL!

It's clear that you haven't a clue how this works. You've never used a battery generator. Sigh. I would help you out here had you not been so abrasive and arrogant.
If you could help me out, you would have. Instead the numbers make the answer to the OPs question quite obvious. But if you think you have a better way to do it, show us what you got!

OUTLAW

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
AMG GT, M5
Occupation
Lawyer
Country flag
Captain obvious here.

Propane tanks and a generator will get you back for a lot less weight and $$. Solar not there yet…

Darthamerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Captain obvious here.

Propane tanks and a generator will get you back for a lot less weight and $$. Solar not there yet…
My point exactly…

No need to carry around a science project and “hope” literally the sun, Moon and stars line up just right so that you can charge.

Last edited:

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
This isn't a rational discussion. It's a mathematics equation. You seem to be missing that part.
I'm bowing out of this conversation, because no one is bothering to read my posts.

I don't know what's wrong with you that you think the only way to charge a battery is an inverter, but whatever. Or that my driveway which only get sun a few hours a day is representative of anything. I live deep in the woods. If you camp deep in the woods, clearly solar isn't going to work for you.

My point exactly…
No, your point is that you continue to post and you didn't read my first post in the thread which already said there's no off the shelf systems which can do this.

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...tery-to-get-unlimited-range.18699/post-338079

This is entirely plausible. However, the Tesla system architecture is proprietary and they operate a closed operating system which is often quite nosy into the voltage levels of subsystems. We don't even know where the wires go (though Munro has the diagrams for sale, I doubt he even knows.)

It's an 800V connection. That takes a significant set of inverters and probably panels to implement.
This is not how solar charge controllers work.

-Crissa

Last edited:

Darthamerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm bowing out of this conversation, because no one is bothering to read my posts.

I don't know what's wrong with you that you think the only way to charge a battery is an inverter, but whatever. Or that my driveway which only get sun a few hours a day is representative of anything. I live deep in the woods. If you camp deep in the woods, clearly solar isn't going to work for you.

No, your point is that you continue to post and you didn't read my first post in the thread which already said there's no off the shelf systems which can do this.

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...tery-to-get-unlimited-range.18699/post-338079

This is entirely plausible. However, the Tesla system architecture is proprietary and they operate a closed operating system which is often quite nosy into the voltage levels of subsystems. We don't even know where the wires go (though Munro has the diagrams for sale, I doubt he even knows.)

-Crissa
No the issue is you made a bad assumption that I didn’t read your post when I fact I did. Then you got offended that I called your numbers for miles per day wildly optimistic…

https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...tery-to-get-unlimited-range.18699/post-339836

I called your numbers optimistic because they are. I have the truck so I’m able to say that based on my experience with it for the last few months. To be more specific so that you know in the future, CT isn’t going to get 400 Wh/mi except in favorable conditions. The OP would need to plan for 500-600+ Wh/mi. That’s due to the road surface/off road, weather, elevation changes, vampire drain, and of course the vehicle doing normal house keeping duties.

As far as off the shelf solutions goes, there are some products the OP could buy that would meet his/her intent, but his question of whether or not it would allow for unlimited range is probably not. But it would allow for a 100-200 miles of travel to some remote area as long as he/her is willing to let the truck sit for about 2 weeks slowly charging up from solar and weather/environmental conditions remain cooperative. I’ve listed the necessary components and cost. There’s nothing really to argue about here.

The problem the OP would face in the scenario is that with solar, he’d need to be close enough to the truck to tend to it between charging cycles. Also it would be wise to provide some security. Especially since you wouldn’t want Sentry Mode active and you have $10,000+ worth of batteries and solar panels accessible. Before you question that, just know this isn’t going to work from the vault because you need to worry about cooling.

But what would work far better is to have a gasoline or propane generator so that when you’re done with the boondocks you can just charge up the truck from the generator in hours vs days and get back to the real world. This is something I’ve done on multiple occasions with a Tesla in the Mojave Desert in July/August and I know it works. You could also buy the Tesla battery pack when it’s available which is integrated with the vehicle and I’d bet you’d have enough energy aboard for most situations.

There are multiple options here so people can pick whichever they prefer. Some are simpler and less costly than others.

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C
So I have thrown a few likes on the comments that are spot on.

Have to understand a few things.

Stationary or portable.
What else if portable is one proposing carrying
Are we having diminishing returns?
Are we trying to prove something or enjoy something.

There are systems, but what is one doing off grid? Current Solar generat

Do you own a Tesla? Have you ever tried any of this?
This is not a Tesla thing. This is understanding electricity and how it moves through a system.
Pretty sure on the yes on the second.

-Crissa
I am reading.

So I could do it. I don't want to, and I don't understand the desire.

I could put a Sol-Ark 8kw Inverter along with 30kWh of batteries laying on the bed. Inverter mounted on back wall. Then lay 5 500W panels on top. Just throwing it out there.

Similar, but a smaller system than what I have. Again just don't get the desire.

Many out there must not boondock. If you feel the need to move around all the time, can't do anything like hike or be active outside, and view that seeing the outdoors via a car or truck is the way. Boondocking in an EV isn't likely for you.

Bringing a trailer of stuff for activities from a base camp is so awesome, and could let a system work over a week.

Think my off grid system takes about a day to charge my truck. I am in no rush, and have another EV to charge to make sure after my campgrounds needs are covered, it is always charging an EV.

So if something takes 4 or 5 days. Who cares? The people that can't sit still, and aren't really outdoorsy people to begin with.
Sponsored