Solar panels and battery to get unlimited range ...

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
I appreciate your enthusiasm. Real world experience with these vehicles will temper your expectations a bit after you see what they can and can’t do.
Real world experience that you handwave to?

You need to make sure you have the power to do the things you want to do.

I handily light and power my camp via solar. I don't know why you think 'Tesla experience' would change that. Lights, radios, cameras charged, run my soldering iron, etc.

My friend took this photo after charging from my solar set in 2013:

Tesla Cybertruck Solar panels and battery to get unlimited range ... 9658969934_53003233b2_w

Foxgrrl on flickr

I currently have controllers for 12x the power I had that year. Which would allow for about 24 miles a day in a Cybertruck. It's all about context (you get almost 10 hours a day of good solar out in Black Rock City)

-Crissa
Sponsored

Last edited:

Darthamerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast and Model S P90D
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Real world experience that you handwave to?

You need to make sure you have the power to do the things you want to do.

I handily light and power my camp via solar. I don't know why you think 'Tesla experience' would change that. Lights, radios, cameras charged, run my soldering iron, etc.

My friend took this photo after charging from my solar set in 2013:

9658969934_53003233b2_w.jpg

Foxgrrl on flickr

I currently have controllers for 12x the power I had that year. Which would allow for about 24 miles a day in a Cybertruck. It's all about context (you get almost 10 hours a day of good solar out in Black Rock City)

-Crissa
lol @ 24 miles/day… yeah ok

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Darthamerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Dude, that event is one where my vehicle parks, and then isn't allowed to move for ten days.

Let's compare that to what happened to Cybergus's truck when he let it sit for 10 days.
https://www.cybertruckownersclub.co...-about-phantom-drain.15133/page-3#post-338031

-Crissa
You think that post supports your argument? lol

If you’re unwilling to listen to those of us who are living with these vehicles then you’re just going to have to learn the hard way. PS, make sure you get the extra battery pack, I can tell you’ll need it!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Over a 5 day trip, this would allow you to only go about 10 miles further into the boondocks.
How many more places do you get between 150 and 160 miles away from the last charge point?
Oh, and you can't use the truck during the day. It needs to stay pointed at the sun.
Five days? That's less than a week if my math has not failed me.

What is it that you don't understand about extended boondocking? Maybe you don't camp and shouldn't be butting into something you know nothing about. How do you keep your fresh food cool or the beer cold?

If you want to drive all the way back into town, go for it. Just know there are other options. Options you will never experience because your mind is more closed than a sprung mousetrap. You have zero interest in learning anything new because you think you already know everything. It's very unflattering. Please wake up from your stupor!

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
As I believe that I indicated earlier, show me the 150kWh portable battery suitable for charging the Cybertruck.
Wow!

All this information must have flown right over your head.

I repeat myself, but it looks like it's necessary. The best way to maintain your battery, or add some range during extended boondocking is not with a big battery (the Cybertruck has the big battery built-in). You charge directly from the sun, using the battery generator only as an interface. The actual kWh capacity of the battery doesn't matter because you are charging in real time, from the sun.

Yes, it really works to extend the amount of time you can boondock without having to run into town to compensate for normal vampire drain or replenish the electricity you mayhave consumed for lighting, refrigeration and/or cooking. The more remote your campsite, and the longer you want to boondock, the more you might need to keep the battery with enough charge to make it back to the grid power.

I'm shocked this is too difficult of a concept to understand. I think more than 95% of the people reading this thread probably understand what this discussion is about.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
lol @ 24 miles/day… yeah ok
That's a lot! That means after a week you would have 168 additional miles (minus normal vampire drain). That's probably enough to get you to your choice of Superchargers when it's time to blow out of there!

Oh wait, that's not a use case you are interested in? Then why are you commenting here?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's easy to say use them. But you are missing the sizing part.

And it you stop and think about it, you shouldn't charge the car during the daylight, that's the problem. You should wait until the sun stops shining.
LOL! You don't know what you're talking about. Why would you wait until the sun stops shining?

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That means, the Solar's battery really needs to have a full charge when starting.
No, it doesn't. You can charge directly from the sun with the battery in the solar generator at 50%. The battery only functions as a buffer. But you are not listening to people wha have actual experience in this exact use case.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Based on experience. Let me know when you try it yourself In a Tesla. Also I’d like to know who would leave their unattended Tesla with a few thousand dollars of solar panels and equipment sitting around while they are in an Aaron Rogers Darkness Retreat lol.

I think you mean well, but I don’t think you’re considering the practicality of this.
It's sad the way you cannot follow a simple, rational discussion.

Yes, it works, many of us have done it. No, you will not get a full charge in one or two days, that is not the point. Go back and read the discussion from the beginning and stop acting like an ignorant ass.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm not asking you to shop for me, I just want to see if you have found something that I haven't.
Apparently I have found something that you haven't.

A lot of details are left out of spec sheets on Amazon and other websites.
Nobody suggested you have to shop on Amazon (or any retailer that doesn't provide complete specs).

People buy these things and find out the hard way that what looks like a "solution" on paper, doesn't work well in practice. I've tried many different methods to keep a Tesla running off grid for extended periods of up to 30 days and it was a struggle. I may have recovered 10 miles of range in a day best case! And that was on a Model S with ~ half of the battery capacity. It'll be even harder with a Cybertruck because you're dealing with a bigger battery AND a less efficient vehicle.
Why didn't you just tell us from the beginning that you don't understand the concept of extended boondocking? That would have saved you from looking really foolish. :rolleyes:

Darthamerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
That's a lot! That means after a week you would have 168 additional miles (minus normal vampire drain). That's probably enough to get you to your choice of Superchargers when it's time to blow out of there!

Oh wait, that's not a use case you are interested in? Then why are you commenting here?
Because you’re not going to get 24 miles a day… duh!

Darthamerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Apparently I have found something that you haven't.

Nobody suggested you have to shop on Amazon (or any retailer that doesn't provide complete specs).

Why didn't you just tell us from the beginning that you don't understand the concept of extended boondocking? That would have saved you from looking really foolish. :rolleyes:
No you haven’t. Since the first Model S launched I’ve put these cars through every possible extreme and that’s what I’m doing with my Beast…. What’s hilarious is that you’re so convinced of the delusion, you’re ignoring the fact that even Tesla told you it’s not a practical solution yet. But if you want to throw a few thousand dollars away to find out this won’t work, go right ahead!

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
And if it is a mild climate, then you’re likely going to be near population centers and people. That means there will be charging nearby negating the need for this.
Climate is different than weather.

and besides that , today there is still lots of road stretches (even in mild climate, fairly populated states) were there is not enough public or any public chargers especially if you don't want to unhook any trailer you might be towing.. Hopefully by 2045 the public charging infrastructure issue will be completely satisfied but that isn't today or next 5 years.

Last edited: