Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Occupation
Mouth Breather
Country flag
Rail dust?

“Rail dust is exactly that, when cars are transported by train (rail) from the factory to a city, the metal wheels of the train cars running on metal rails create small particles of metal that fly into the air and land on the horizontal surfaces of the car.”

https://www.carwash.com/what-is-rail-dust/#:~:text=Rail dust is exactly that,horizontal surfaces of the car.
Yup. Had this exact issue with an 2010 Toyota FJ. Never did get rid of the pesky little orange bastards…. Haha
Sponsored

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
Cover that sucker in transport then. Not sure about the train theory, but spraying windex all over is not going to fix the problem, and might just make it worse.- I was called in to consult on a Oppenheimer SS piece that had been rusting for years... guess what they were using to clean it...

Gigahorse

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1 Million Miles on ICE Toyotas, Waiting for CT
LOT of different grades of stainless, with the CT using a proprietary kind it will take some time to figure out if bird poop and bugs really stain the stainless.

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Some images after a dish soap wash. Cybertruck was driven 2 days in rain.

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 7.11.20 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 7.11.14 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 7.11.07 PM.png
Not cool, I'm supposed to pick one up tomorrow and it's raining all day. All the pics I've seen, they just leave them outside. So, someone left it in the rain and they did nothing to fix it, so now you have to take it into service?

Tanquen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
Mine has been out in the rain since I got it a few days ago and I don't see spots like that.
I wonder what would cause that then. A bad batch of metal with the wrong types/amounts of metal in it or rain in a different area that's got different chemicals or pH levels or something. Leaving the rain to dry out and evaporate and versus wiping it down each time?

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
Can you restore it back to non rusty with barkeeper's friend liquid, and then see if they return? The rail dust suggestion does seem to make sense, stains would be left by rusting steel dust that would not come off from a regular wash. This kind of thing happens in my CNC machines, where a little chip of steel rusts and leaves a rust stain on another surface that would not have rusted under the same conditions.

If barkeeper's friend doesn't remove the rust, that's a problem. If it does remove it and they come back, that's also a problem.

Contrary to what everyone thinks, it IS possible for stainless to rust, but I wouldn't expect 30X stainless to rust by itself with a few days of rain. Even in nasty road salt mist conditions in the northern states, I wouldn't really expect rust to form.

C T Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2015 Nissan NV 3500, 2013 Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Country flag
On a side note, I do a lot of cutting grinding and welding. I learned the hard way welding . Either wear gloves or take off the wedding ring. 1 hot spark that doesn’t even phase my hands, easily embeds itself into a gold ring.
when I have to drill cast iron sinks for another hole for an instant hot water dispenser, I have to use a magnetic ring to capture all the Carbon fines while drilling, or they will rust instantly onto the white porcelain surface upon contact with water.
Based on some CT are showing spots and others are not, I do believe it’s not the stainless production, but what the stainless has been exposed too. Is it happening in the factory or is it happening in transport? But I guarantee you, it will affect every vehicle sooner that later with dust that comes off the road or from what the rain splashes up.
on stainless steel fixtures like public drinking fountains, a lite wiping with lemon oil prevents all the hard water marks that would leave that white chalky looking finish. But be aware, the lemon oil will give it a slight darker finisher with a nice sheen.
Of course these are not $100,000 plumbing fixtures. Maybe test on an interior door panel before you test on the outside of the CT. Or put some on your SS sinks and fridge first.
Rick

Outdoors

First Name
Outdoors
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S,3,Y,C

android04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Tesla Model 3 LR RWD, Tesla Cybertruck Tri-motor (reserved)
Country flag
My guess it is rail dust. Hence the name you can guess where it comes from. On removing, let me know how it goes. Thanks for being an early adopter.

https://www.carwash.com/what-is-rail-dust/
Exactly, this rust spot accumulation from debris in the environment happens to all cars, even ones with actual paint. That's why they make detailing products like Iron-X and Iron Out that you spray on your car, let it sit for a little, and it turns purple. Then you have to rinse it out. Can also get the rail dust out with a clay bar.

That's pretty common where it rains or snows regularly, and I do an annual decontamination wash on my Model 3 in the spring where it looks like it has a bunch of rust specks on the paint.

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
Just to reiterate about using Windex, which seems to be often recommended on this forum..

"Windex does not recommend using their product for cleaning stainless steel. Windex contains ammonia. And repeatedly applying ammonia-based window cleaner to stainless steel can damage the glossy surface or encourage the development of rust."

https://www.mytidycorner.com/can-you-use-windex-on-stainless-steel/

DMC-81

First Name
Dana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Transformers Camaro SS, 1985 Corvette Z51, Dodge Magnum R/T, 1981 DeLorean, CT reservation
Country flag
My guess it is rail dust. Hence the name you can guess where it comes from. On removing, let me know how it goes. Thanks for being an early adopter.

https://www.carwash.com/what-is-rail-dust/
I remember from a recent YouTube Wrap video that the technician commented that there were tiny metal particles on the brand new truck. I think they used a clay bar to remove them.

Whether they were from manufacturing or transportation, I have seen this type of problem before on DeLoreans.

As mentioned above, if you get non-stainless steel particles on the SS panels, the rusting of the mild steel will set up a chemical reaction that will cause the stainless steel to corrode. I think it has to be left there or ground in ( at least on DeLorean panels).

A “rail dust” particle like these pictures show (if left to rust) can stain the panel. As mentioned BKF will remove it, but if it was left for a while, it could definitely pit the panel. The length of time will depend on the grade of stainless steel.

Here is a DeLorean example: some owners ruined their panels by using mild steel “steel wool” to blend their grained panels. The friction of the blending caused minute particles of the steel wool to be lodged into the stainless steel panels. After a short while, the steel wool rusted and the panel in turn looked rusted. If found in time, the remedy was that the panels were re-blended with the proper non-metallic pads and cleaned thoroughly.

I know that when it comes time to take delivery of my CT, I’ll carefully inspect and decontaminate it right away.

Just to reiterate about using Windex, which seems to be often recommended on this forum..

"Windex does not recommend using their product for cleaning stainless steel. Windex contains ammonia. And repeatedly applying ammonia-based window cleaner to stainless steel can damage the glossy surface or encourage the development of rust."

https://www.mytidycorner.com/can-you-use-windex-on-stainless-steel/
Thanks for this information. It is frustrating to have to try to correct careless and un- researched advice given by YouTubers.