Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 MYLR and (Apr-Jun CT AWD)
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
??? That’s what Tesla PowerShare is. It’s already enabled on the Cybertruck and Tesla said some future vehicles will have it as well. It’s a physical hardware change needed to S,X, M3 and MY
No. Currently CT PowerShare is a backup power source. You can only use it to power your home if you loose the grid (or you go out and disconnect yourself)!

VTH (Vehicle to Home) would enable you to use the battery as you please. You could charge it with solar during the day, and use the truck to power house at night.

Or with no solar, I can charge my truck super off peak at 10 cents per kwHr at night and use truck to power house during peak hours instead of spending 18 cents per kwHr. Time shifting.....

VTH (Vehicle to Grid) capability goes a step further and allows you to store energy in the truck and sell it back to the grid later.

CT = 9.2 PowerWall 3s.

Power Wall is about 8K.

CT is potentially over 70K worth of battery storage!

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
It seems there are some differences. AFAIK these are the correct numbers. Accurate?

11.0 kW - Rivian R2 AC V2H
11.5 kW - Tesla Powershare
19.2 kW - Ford Charge Station Pro
24.0 kW - Rivian R1/R2 DC V2H

An interpretation:
R1 most likely is going to use the DCFC current path (so 450V-ish) from the battery out to an external inverter circuit, whereas R2 is likely using the vehicle onboard power electronics (in reverse) to send 240V out on the normal A/C charging pins.

On the home side, both solutions are going to need an islanding device (some sort of gateway) to disconnect the home in the event of power outage. The house-side electronics for R1 vehicles will have extra wiring and components since it’s DC out of the vehicle.

Last edited:

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
@akenis

Thank you for the clarification. I guess you could still do most of that with Tesla powershare if you do not mind updating your microwaves clock every time you toggle the breaker.

Regarding buying power for cheap (or free overnight) and using the battery during the day, I considered doing that with my F150 Lightning. I wonder how long it will take for power companies to prohibit this behavior.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
Regarding buying power for cheap (or free overnight) and using the battery during the day, I considered doing that with my F150 Lightning. I wonder how long it will take for power companies to prohibit this behavior.
Isn't that the same as doing that with Tesla Powerwalls (some people have multiples and it would last all night). For people with solar, they can charge them up during the day with excess and using in the evening/night. Would seem similar with TOU/TimeOfUse utility plans.

They obvious problem with this is that you are using cycles from the life of your batteries.

Limited battery cycle concept:
"1500 cycles? But that’s (relatively) low! Yes. But what is not shown on the spec sheet is that when you partially charge and discharge, degradation of the battery capacity is reduced. Thus, you can do over
120,000 charge/discharge cycles when going from 30% to 70% only. Or over
105,000 charge/discharge cycles from 20% to 80%;
084,000 cycles from 10% to 90%;
045,000 cycles from 8% to 92%,
022,500 cylces from 6% to 94%, and the capacity reduction goes faster and faster, finally reaching
001,500 cycles when recharging from 0% to 100%."

http://blog.evandmore.com/lets-talk-about-the-panasonic-ncr18650b/

Last edited:

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
Isn't that the same as doing that with Tesla Powerwalls (some people have multiples and it would last all night). For people with solar, they can charge them up during the day with excess and using in the evening/night. Would seem similar with TOU/TimeOfUse utility plans.
Here in TX I can get plans that are $0.00/kWh from 9pm to 7am. With this setup I could basically have a zero bill, not counting minimal base fees. I do not see how the providers would benefit from this financially.

There is a program for Tesla power walls to help in times of extreme usage or outages, but this isnt that. Its 365 days a year.

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
ASIDE:
$0.00/kWh from 9pm to 7am.
But there is a delivery charger per kWh right?
AFAIK all the electricity bills I've come across there are
1) price per kWh
2) price per delivering each kWh

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
ASIDE:

But there is a delivery charger per kWh right?
AFAIK all the electricity bills I've come across there are
1) price per kWh
2) price per delivering each kWh
You're correct. It looks like its around $0.05/kWh. So the bill would be reduced significantly by not 0. It would still be a lose/lose situation for everyone.

• The provider makes no revenue.
  • The electricity generator is producing extra power due to losses in charging and inverting.
  • The customer is destroying their battery cell cycles.

Last edited: