CarMan ElecTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LeftFoot RightFoot
Country flag
Technically they are not dealership, but recently they sure are starting to act like them… or so I’ve heard..

I fortunately have had good experience..

But it took two tries to fix a water leak into the back of my ModelY
Sponsored

OP
OP
Pstryker

Pstryker

First Name
Pstryker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Ram 1500
Occupation
Video Production
Country flag
Thanks, but it's not a 'dealership'.

Dealerships are only for legacy auto where two profit margins are taken, first to the manufacturer, and then to the third party dealers who take their cut. Tesla direct sales only have one profit margin taken.

I always remind of those differences, because they are one of the vital fundamentals which makes Tesla so much better than legacy auto.

- ÆCIII
Thanks so much for the semantics lesson! I call a dealership a place where you go to test drive and buy cars. I'm gonna go ahead in keep calling it a dealership, it just doesn't feel right calling it a gallery or whatever other weird pronouns people are using for it these days.

CarMan ElecTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LeftFoot RightFoot
Country flag
The only benefit now with Tesla dealerships, I get to spend 8hours of my life elsewhere. And I don’t get a turd of a loaner..

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I heard thru the grapevine (the tube) that CT could not be delivered in Colorado.. so a few were coming to California for ‘delivery’
While there may be something that I don't know about (and I'm pretty sure that I've heard about a CO Cybertruck delivery), I'm not talking about Cybertruck deliveries, I'm talking Tesla in general.

There's 3 Delivery Center in the Denver area and one towards Glenwood Springs, so it appeats that CO is a Tesla friendly state.

Supercharger | Tesla - Turn off all but Delivery Centers

Compare this against the Northeast, notice no icons above or to the left of Mass.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Delivery Hold Until April 23 -- Tesla Dealership Associate 1713463007593-97

And of course there's this state, which may not surprise anyone.
Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Delivery Hold Until April 23 -- Tesla Dealership Associate 1713463111233-me

ÆCIII

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
Thanks so much for the semantics lesson! I call a dealership a place where you go to test drive and buy cars. I'm gonna go ahead in keep calling it a dealership, it just doesn't feel right calling it a gallery or whatever other weird pronouns people are using for it these days.
Good - here's some more:

The very word dealership implies that you will be haggling for a price (to make a deal) which doesn't happen at a Tesla store because Tesla prices are set in advance as one of the great things about a direct sales model.

However I prefer to be precise because there's a lot to appreciate in details concerning Tesla, both in technical aspects as well as their cleaner efficient business model. So if one appreciates the details in what brings us a Tesla, they'll realize that calling their store a dealership could actually be an insult with the way many dealerships are in recent decades, because Tesla has succeeded in a far better solution for us.

- ÆCIII

OP
OP
Pstryker

Pstryker

First Name
Pstryker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Ram 1500
Occupation
Video Production
Country flag
Good - here's some more:

The very word dealership implies that you will be haggling for a price (to make a deal) which doesn't happen at a Tesla store because Tesla prices are set in advance as one of the great things about a direct sales model.

However I prefer to be precise because there's a lot to appreciate in details concerning Tesla, both in technical aspects as well as their cleaner efficient business model. So if one appreciates the details in what brings us a Tesla, they'll realize that calling their store a dealership could actually be an insult with the way many dealerships are in recent decades, because Tesla has succeeded in a far better solution for us.

- ÆCIII
Different words mean different things to different people. Here is my definition and one you will see in dictionaries:

A dealership is a business facility that sells a particular product, especially a particular make of car

I think what you are describing are "legacy auto dealerships"

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
Yep, I'm in a similar boat. Paid in full, insurance activated, the delivery window came and went, zero communication from them, not even a text, so I went to the dealership to ask.
I think this is an area Tesla could easily improve on. While they seem to be focussed on Robotaxi and introducing new tech, they have lost sight of the fact that they are a big car company now and need to have the customer service to match. The customer service is weak, very weak, because of simple lack of communication. It puts a bad taste in the mouth of all customers involved. And we, of course, are some of Tesla's most die hard fans, so it makes no sense. When I look at the share price tumbling, I know why.
My insurance company, USAA, allows me to put a vehicle into "storage", promising not to operate it, reducing the premium by about 60%. Yours may have something similar. The only catch - in my case - is that the minimum period for that situation is 30 days.

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Delivery Hold Until April 23 -- Tesla Dealership Associate Screenshot 2024-04-18 at 1.31.30 PM

Scurvmaster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 chevy colorado, 2020 Model Y
Country flag
To help this thread get back on track....

I got my VIN on 4 April, just got word from my service center in San Antonio, TX and they said mine is in transit. So hoping to have a deliver date tomorrow. VIN 61XX.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Different words mean different things to different people. Here is my definition and one you will see in dictionaries:

A dealership is a business facility that sells a particular product, especially a particular make of car

You can go to Tesa store and buy a vehicle.

They have computers setup so that you can login to Tesla.com and make the transaction.

They don't sell cars there. But they are happy to help you navigate a web site.

A Tesla stores sells no products.

OP
OP
Pstryker

Pstryker

First Name
Pstryker
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, Ram 1500
Occupation
Video Production
Country flag
You can go to Tesa store and buy a vehicle.

They have computers setup so that you can login to Tesla.com and make the transaction.

They don't sell cars there. But they are happy to help you navigate a web site.

A Tesla stores sells no products.
Yep, this is what I call a Tesla Dealership. You can call it whatever you like.

cybercuh

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Land Cruiser, 95 Supra, AWD CT VIN 50XX
Country flag
This was me last Friday.. Delivery was originally scheduled on lucky Saturday 4/13

This truck has been a roller coaster of emotions :LOL:

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck Delivery Hold Until April 23 -- Tesla Dealership Associate Image_20240418134811

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Yep, this is what I call a Tesla Dealership. You can call it whatever you like.
You don't get it. Or of that's the way you define it, then my house is a dealership.
Where did you order yours?

Who are you transacting business with? Whose name is on the documents? Compare that to going to you local Ford dealership (which is privately owned)

Tesla, you order from the factory.
Most anywhere else, you order from a dealer. Even if you do an online order from the factory, they are inserting a dealer in the mix.

Ford, GM, Kia, Mercedes, etc are NOT ALLOWED TO SALE DIRECT to consumer. And in many states it's laws sponsored by NADA and other dealer organizations to restrict the sales to only dealers.

AnthonyJ

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid
Country flag
You don't get it. Or of that's the way you define it, then my house is a dealership.
Where did you order yours?

Who are you transacting business with? Whose name is on the documents? Compare that to going to you local Ford dealership (which is privately owned)

Tesla, you order from the factory.
Most anywhere else, you order from a dealer. Even if you do an online order from the factory, they are inserting a dealer in the mix.

Ford, GM, Kia, Mercedes, etc are NOT ALLOWED TO SALE DIRECT to consumer. And in many states it's laws sponsored by NADA and other dealer organizations to restrict the sales to only dealers.
Dealership

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag

Or "franchise dealerships" as opposed to "manufacturer owned dealerships."

Actually, they're totally allowed to sell directly. They decided long ago to not do so.

Their current contracts limit their ability to change their sales methods, although some have attempted direct-sales models on and off (Saturn, Scion, etc).

And yes, you can buy vehicles at Tesla stores. That's the major difference between a showroom and a delivery center.

-Crissa
Sponsored

Last edited: