Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1976 electric conversion bus
Occupation
Project Manager
Country flag
Thanks for the detailed critique DistilledBison. I’ll work my way through your comments and update my chart accordingly.
The bed length with the midgate is its own category or asterisks at the least because you loose 3 passenger seats. Neat, but it comes with a cost. Otherwise he made some valid arguments.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
4. DRIVER ASSIST FEATURES: Again, I think we should only account for things that currently exist in the market as of today. Promises are only promises until it makes it into the hands of the consumers. Also, ford does have active collision avoidance/autobraking/lane keep assist in their trucks. Maybe we need to re-define what this category is? (hands free driving off road seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen)
FSD exists in the market today (it's available on the best-selling car in the world, the Tesla Model Y) and it's not a big leap to trust that it will make it to the Cybertruck soon.

5. SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE: Lets just be safe and assume that if it has an air filter, it'll need to be replaced. Same goes for moving components in the drivetrain, if all of the EV trucks require some form of inspection then I guarantee the CT will need it at the same intervals to some extent.
You don't want to assume FSD will arrive shortly for buyers of the Cybertruck, but you want to assume that all air filters need service at the same intervals? Cybertruck likely has a considerably higher filter area (since it has HEPA bio-defense mode) and it looks like it has an updraft design which is designed for the filter to last longer before getting plugged. Why should we assume all vehicles are engineered with equal service intervals?

6.SECURE STORAGE: We might need to take a closer look at the numbers on the silverado with a midgate, thats nearly 11 continuous feet of flat storage. Now if you can cover that with a tonneau of sorts, that might set the CT back a bit.
Covering a Silverado with an aftermarket tonneau just raises the already high price of the Silverado and reduces its payload and range. It does nothing to set the Cybertruck back at all. Although it's beginning to sound like you want to try to knock Cybertruck off the pedestal it's engineering teams put it on. Why would you include aftermarket modifications in comparisons of stock vehicles? It's not like an aftermarket company couldn't (and won't) offer a canopy for Cybertruck. Not that I would want one!

7. 0-60: raptor R has been officially clocked at 3.7s by motortrend, putting it ahead of the silverado and lightning. https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2023-ford-raptor-r-first-test-review/
This is actually a refreshing comment that recognizes quickness and power DO matter. So many people who try to "whittle Cybertruck down to size" claim quickness and power don't matter in a pickup. Of course they matter!

8. BED LENGTH: the silverado midgate does exist, so it technically has the higher bed capacity at 10ft 10in.
Let's remain reasonable here, as soon as you open the midgate, it's no longer a truck bed because it's open to the cabin (including rain, snow, wind, dust, theft, smells of whatever you have behind the cab, etc). This is a comparison of truck bed sizes, not whether you can convert it to an open station wagon. Truck beds are not part of the cabin.

9. HEAT PUMP: Raptor R has an oil cooler, radiator, condenser. Little confusing to say it has no separate cooling system for engine, oil, and cabin. Also doesn't have to rely on a battery to fuel any of those things, except maybe fuel itself heh.
I would like to see the Raptor make use of the cooling system for the engine or the Air Conditioning for the cabin, without relying on a battery (as well as gasoline). And it's a lead-acid battery, a technology so out-dated you won't even find one in Cybertruck! Your comments here make no sense, all vehicles rely on their primary power source for all their functions. The Raptor also relies on it's secondary powersource which in turn relies upon it's primary powersource, which in turn relies on gas stations, which rely on refineries and plenty of electricity, which rely on oil wells and pumps. The supply chain to power the Raptor is long, complex and expensive, yet you act like it's a problem to charge the battery in a Cybertruck.

11. WINDOW GLASS: Tesla marketing may have stretched that claim, i'm sure its laminated glass just like the rest of the EV landscape, but I will happily say i'm wrong when i'm shown a proper side by side test.
I'm confused why you think Tesla is not telling the truth when they say the glass in the Cybertruck is stronger than normal automotive glass. Sure, we know it's laminated, so what? That doesn't mean it's the same strength. Tesla is the one who specified the glass properties from their supplier, they KNOW how strong it is.

Your "notes" read more like a list of things that you don't want to be true. Not once did you point out where the list unfairly favored any of the other trucks over the Cybertruck, although a number of cases could be made. For example, the ground clearance of Cybertruck in Extract Mode is actually higher than 16 inches.

One example of where the Cybertruck specs are actually over-stated is it says the steering is less than 180 degrees lock to lock. The lock-to-lock steering wjheel angle is 340 degrees (or .94 turns). Far better than any of the competitors, but not less than 180 degrees.

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
The bed length with the midgate is its own category or asterisks at the least because you loose 3 passenger seats. Neat, but it comes with a cost. Otherwise he made some valid arguments.
I’m curious the use cases for the mid-gate…I know many really wanted it… the thought of having an open air back of my truck in Oregon doesn’t sound appealing and I just don’t have many use cases at all where that would be worth it.. but I know they are out there so no judgement

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hilarious ….. that Lightning can’t compete. The Cybertruck should take over being the Sales leader in a short bit. Ford is a joke. Tesla knows how to build real trucks….
Tesla cannot become the sales leader unless they become the production leader. And that's more difficult than it sounds. It takes billions of dollars and years of planning to expand production capacity enough to overtake any of the other large pickup makers. Tesla can do it quicker than any of the rest, but that doesn't mean they just flip a switch and a million trucks per year come rolling out of the factory gates. It will take years, even for Tesla. And we can expect to see total pickup sales of the legacy automakers continue to decline over the next decade. They have already hit their peak pickup sales and production numbers, even if you add ICE and EV together.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m curious the use cases for the mid-gate…I know many really wanted it… the thought of having an open air back of my truck in Oregon doesn’t sound appealing and I just don’t have many use cases at all where that would be worth it.. but I know they are out there so no judgement
The mid-gate is really handy for pole vaulters in mild climates when they don't need to park the truck unsupervised in areas with potential crime.

🥴

CyberTW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y &3
Occupation
Firefighter
Country flag
The mid-gate is really handy for pole vaulters in mild climates when they don't need to park the truck unsupervised in areas with potential crime.

🥴
The funniest part about this… I was a pole vaulter in college with a best of 18’… my poles were 16’5” in length… so even then the use case is moot as I knew how to transport them on 4 door sedans 😂

OP
OP

Rocwurst

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
TeslaM3,Triton4WD,LRDiscoTd5,JackarooV6,TerranoII
Occupation
Learning Technologist, University sector
Country flag
1. JUMPING: Those rear tires are definitely off the ground quite a bit. Also, the raptor was going off a completely different jump, kinda hard to compare that those two.
That’s a good pick-up from the video frame, but the Jump section of the chart is based on the actual comments and impressions of the Top Gear hosts from the driver’s seats after the jump tests. That’s the best we can do until we get more rigorous comparison tests.
2. EPA RANGE: Since you mentioned the V6 raptor in price near the bottom, I would think it makes sense to include it in the range estimate as well. I'm seeing range estimates anywhere from 600-800+ miles on a tank. Which eclipses anything in the EV space.
Thats a good point. I will add the Raptor V6 EPA range to the chart.
3. PRICING: The single motor Cybertruck does not exist in reality, therefor should not be counted here. We already got burned once with the tri-motor cost, whose to say it wont happen again?
True, however, I have also included the pricing details for the Rivian Quad Max which is not shipping to next year either, so I think it’s appropriate to leave the CT RWD details in the chart - though I will add “(due 2015)“ to the chart in addition to the footnote pointing that out.
4. DRIVER ASSIST FEATURES: Again, I think we should only account for things that currently exist in the market as of today. Promises are only promises until it makes it into the hands of the consumers. Also, ford does have active collision avoidance/autobraking/lane keep assist in their trucks. Maybe we need to re-define what this category is? (hands free driving off road seems like a lawsuit waiting to happen)
As another commenter mentioned, there is no way that FSD will not be added soon, so I think the caveat shown against the CT is sufficient to highlight it is not yet available. A Raptor owner informed me that BlueCruise is not available for the Raptor, but If you have any links that say otherwise, I’d be happy to update the chart.
5. SERVICE AND MAINTENANCE: Lets just be safe and assume that if it has an air filter, it'll need to be replaced. Same goes for moving components in the drivetrain, if all of the EV trucks require some form of inspection then I guarantee the CT will need it at the same intervals to some extent.
The difference is that factory-mandated service intervals are pretty important for ensuring warranties are honoured. The fact that such servicing is not mandated by Tesla means the lack of a record of regular inspections shouldn’t ever be cause for denial of any warrantee repairs.
6.SECURE STORAGE: We might need to take a closer look at the numbers on the silverado with a midgate, thats nearly 11 continuous feet of flat storage. Now if you can cover that with a tonneau of sorts, that might set the CT back a bit.
The 77.4 cubic feet of storage noted for the Silverado already includes cabin storage and optional tonneau cover volume whether the mid-gate is opened or not.
7. 0-60: raptor R has been officially clocked at 3.7s by motortrend, putting it ahead of the silverado and lightning. https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2023-ford-raptor-r-first-test-review/
Excellent, I’ll update that field as well.
8. BED LENGTH: the silverado midgate does exist, so it technically has the higher bed capacity at 10ft 10in.
That’s a good point. I’ll add a note to that effect.
9. HEAT PUMP: Raptor R has an oil cooler, radiator, condenser. Little confusing to say it has no separate cooling system for engine, oil, and cabin. Also doesn't have to rely on a battery to fuel any of those things, except maybe fuel itself heh.
You‘ve spotted a typo in my chart - there should be a full stop between the words “No” and “separate”. That should be indicating the Raptor has multiple separate heating/cooling systems instead of a single unified system like the CT.
10. 110V, 240V, POWER DELIVERY: Since the v6 raptor was included, you can technically option the V6 raptor with 2kw onboard power. Now whether you would want to power your campsite for Days with any of these vehicles would be a challenge if you didn't have accessible re-fueling options within range.
I’ve been meaning to add that optional 2kw system for the Raptor. Note that the CT can power a complete house for 3 days, so I think the fairly minimal requirements of camping power should last a lot longer with significantly less impact on battery range. In fact the travelblog Kara and Nate cooked a meal with an air fryer and boiled water cooking rice simultaneously, watched movies on the big screen etc off onboard 120v while camping a few nights and lost a mere 2% of range.
11. WINDOW GLASS: Tesla marketing may have stretched that claim, i'm sure its laminated glass just like the rest of the EV landscape, but I will happily say i'm wrong when i'm shown a proper side by side test.
As I mention in the footnotes, Testa states that "Armor Glass can resist the impact of a baseball at 70 mph or class 4 hail". Are you sure the regular laminated glass in the other trucks could handle that?
This is all I could see for now, great info though, thanks for putting this together!
No problems, thanks for the useful critique.

Last edited:

DistilledBison

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RAM
Occupation
Designer
Country flag
FSD exists in the market today (it's available on the best-selling car in the world, the Tesla Model Y) and it's not a big leap to trust that it will make it to the Cybertruck soon.

I’m sure it will, I’m just saying it’s not available yet. So we probably shouldn’t claim it as a cybertruck feature until it’s available on all trucks. Also, this is an off-road comparison, not sure of the use of FSD here (at least to me, feel free to disagree)

You don't want to assume FSD will arrive shortly for buyers of the Cybertruck, but you want to assume that all air filters need service at the same intervals? Cybertruck likely has a considerably higher filter area (since it has HEPA bio-defense mode) and it looks like it has an updraft design which is designed for the filter to last longer before getting plugged. Why should we assume all vehicles are engineered with equal service intervals?

OP said No Service Intervals, we need to be honest with ourselves and understand that the CT will require some service at some point, although at a much less rate than the rest. (Hopefully)

Covering a Silverado with an aftermarket tonneau just raises the already high price of the Silverado and reduces its payload and range. It does nothing to set the Cybertruck back at all. Although it's beginning to sound like you want to try to knock Cybertruck off the pedestal it's engineering teams put it on. Why would you include aftermarket modifications in comparisons of stock vehicles? It's not like an aftermarket company couldn't (and won't) offer a canopy for Cybertruck. Not that I would want one!

I should clarify here, I have no clue if the Silverado offers a tonneau from the factory or not. If not then the CT obviously wins here with secured storage space, but if the Silverado offers one then it might be worth looking into for comparison (which starts the whole, “is it really a truck bed though?” Conversation that I don’t think any of us are ready for)

This is actually a refreshing comment that recognizes quickness and power DO matter. So many people who try to "whittle Cybertruck down to size" claim quickness and power don't matter in a pickup. Of course they matter!

Quickness and power matter a lot to truck buyers for some reason, the CT is appealing to most for this feature alone. Being able to move that much mass that quickly is a feat of engineering and I’m sure it makes a huge difference when towing horses or cattle across town from your ranch. Love it!

Let's remain reasonable here, as soon as you open the midgate, it's no longer a truck bed because it's open to the cabin (including rain, snow, wind, dust, theft, smells of whatever you have behind the cab, etc). This is a comparison of truck bed sizes, not whether you can convert it to an open station wagon. Truck beds are not part of the cabin.

I agree with you, but I’m basing my comment on how these trucks are marketed. If the CT had a Midgate and could haul 10ft lumber without it hanging out of the back, would we call it bed space? I know I would. Now hauling rocks would be a different story and I’m sure we all could agree lowering the midgate for that would be a dumb move. Kind of a “is a hotdog a sandwich?” Issue.

I would like to see the Raptor make use of the cooling system for the engine or the Air Conditioning for the cabin, without relying on a battery (as well as gasoline). And it's a lead-acid battery, a technology so out-dated you won't even find one in Cybertruck! Your comments here make no sense, all vehicles rely on their primary power source for all their functions. The Raptor also relies on it's secondary powersource which in turn relies upon it's primary powersource, which in turn relies on gas stations, which rely on refineries and plenty of electricity, which rely on oil wells and pumps. The supply chain to power the Raptor is long, complex and expensive, yet you act like it's a problem to charge the battery in a Cybertruck.

OP claimed the ICE had no separate cooling features, if we are going to compare ICE to EV we have to do it fairly across the board and make sure we have all the facts right. Otherwise all the hardcore truck guys are gonna rip us a new one. You make a great point about the supply chain of the power source for these trucks, the “food chain” of power is complex for both and we need to breakdown the pros/cons of them so we are better informed. So we can prepare ourselves for the eventual “I know that I don’t lose fuel when I turn on the AC in my ICE truck.”

I'm confused why you think Tesla is not telling the truth when they say the glass in the Cybertruck is stronger than normal automotive glass. Sure, we know it's laminated, so what? That doesn't mean it's the same strength. Tesla is the one who specified the glass properties from their supplier, they KNOW how strong it is.

It could be stronger, but I’ve been around marketing long enough to sniff out a stretch when I smell it though. I’m sure they know how strong it is, I’m just aware of the many claims Tesla has made in the past that have turned out to be misleading. I gotta have that proof man.

Your "notes" read more like a list of things that you don't want to be true. Not once did you point out where the list unfairly favored any of the other trucks over the Cybertruck, although a number of cases could be made. For example, the ground clearance of Cybertruck in Extract Mode is actually higher than 16 inches.

Well mostly because the list is accurate, the CT does do favorably over the competitors on paper. It’s just an honest critique, CT isn’t perfect and we need to admit that. But admitting that allows us to see where it can be better and hopefully relay that to the engineers so they can perfect it in the coming years.

One example of where the Cybertruck specs are actually over-stated is it says the steering is less than 180 degrees lock to lock. The lock-to-lock steering wjheel angle is 340 degrees (or .94 turns). Far better than any of the competitors, but not less than 180 degrees.

OP
OP

Rocwurst

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
this is an off-road comparison, not sure of the use of FSD here (at least to me, feel free to disagree)
The latest videos of FSD in action driving to a point in an open field on a farm or going off-road between cones around a construction site have been quite remarkable, so I think it is probably still useful to keep in the chart.

I'd love to see how FSD handles some of the flatter tracks and trails.
OP claimed the ICE had no separate cooling features, “I know that I don’t lose fuel when I turn on the AC in my ICE truck.”
That was a typo on my part. I actually meant the Raptor had too many separate heating and cooling systems unlike the unified OctoValve system of the CT.
Thanks for the heads-up DistilledBison. That field is poorly worded. I‘ll change it to say something along the lines of ”the steering is only 170 degrees from centred to full left or right lock allowing a driver’s hands to stay in the same spots on the steering wheel full lock-to-lock.“

SONNYDUT

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX470, 3x Audi A3, Honda Van, Model S, Tri-Motor Cybertruck
Occupation
CAD Designer
Country flag
Sonny, I included the Raptor for comparative purposes As it says in the title of the chart.

This helps to show how good the EVs are compared to the best production off-road ICE truck In most off-road specs.
In that case. Why stop there, Dodge, Toyota, Jeep, have good off-road truck as well. You should be adding all the capable off-road trucks out there to your list. I still think Raptor R should not be compared with EV Truck. Just my thought.

OP
OP

Rocwurst

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
In that case. Why stop there, Dodge, Toyota, Jeep, have good off-road truck as well. You should be adding all the capable off-road trucks out there to your list. I still think Raptor R should not be compared with EV Truck. Just my thought.
This comparison is of full-size truck EVs. I‘ve included the Raptor R as well as that is pretty much the most well-known and popular example of a full-size off-road Fossil truck and provides a good comparison of ground-clearance, performance, etc.

Adding more ICE trucks would detract from the purpose of this chart and make an already large chart that much more unwieldy.

cardad

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, R1T, Bronco Raptor
Country flag
Here's the latest version of my chart comparing the off-road-specific specifications and features of full-size electric trucks (with the Ford F-150 Raptor (ICE) as a reference).

I've found the amount of noise on the Net hides the fact that the Cybertruck is actually extremely competitive on all the specifications and features that actually matter for off-road 4WD owners such as myself.

Many comparisons concentrate on towing range which, though an important capability for around 7% of truck owners, is not the only important feature for those who, like me, take their Pickup trucks (called Utes here in Australia) off-road.

Additions, corrections and comments appreciated.
The main problem here which is glaringly obvious to anyone that understands vehicle geometry such as approach angle, breakover etc, is that you've used the "maximums" for all of these figures and at the "extract" ride height you have absolutely no articulation and very little travel available to you. If you were to drive in extract against a Raptor R over a variety of surfaces the CT would be laughed out of the room. You cannot simply compare the numbers without looking totally clueless about your understanding of how these numbers are measured.

So in order to better compare the geometry figures you need to determine things such as breakover, approach angle, etc. at ride heights where you have more travel, reasonable articulation etc. and that is tricky without going and measuring directly yourself. The numbers you show are maximums and they are not all "compatible" with each other, i.e. you will not have 12" of travel at 16" ride height and you will not have the approach, breakover, and departure angles at the 12" travel ride height (presumably very high). Based on just a general understanding of what happens with a long wheelbase truck (such as the Jeep Gladiator, R1T, etc.) the breakover will be bad at a normal ride height, the departure angle is ok but could be better with aftermarket bumpers, and you need to remove a slew of fairings to achieve any kind of reasonable off road performance that doesn't tear up a bunch of plastic pieces. Also, the CT needs a sway bar disconnect kit to improve articulation so out of the box there are a lot of things that can be done to improve performance. A Bronco/Wrangler Rubicon can disconnect their sway bars with a switch/button so in terms of just keeping up with off road tech the CT is more in the Rivian camp which is to say it is better for overlanding and the demands for that don't usually require 16" of ground clearance or a lot of articulation.

Given the lack of rock sliders and the very flimsy nature of the fairings the CT is not off-road ready. Just driving on the freeway caused me to damage both rear wheel fairings from hitting tire debris and Tesla did not engineer them for easy removal with two screws threaded from the inside. Ford also had some major teething with developing the Bronco for off-roading without unexpected damage (I have owned 3) so it's not like this isn't unexpected.

I personally wouldn't want a Raptor R for off-roading but generally the CT needs modification to improve departure angle and avoid damage and the ability to take 37" tires would be a huge improvement but the suspension components may not be engineered for that. Ford has done a decent job engineering their latest vehicles for modification and Tesla's wimpy looking upper control arms are basically designed for urban use only unless you want to carry around thousands in spare parts and can repair your suspension out on the trail.

So if you're just using this chart and drawing paper based conclusions on its superiority you're going to be deeply disappointed if you drive something like an unmodified Jeep Wrangler that has good articulation with solid axles (aka no lockers needed vs the CT slipping on comically easy terrain due to poor articulation) on moderately easy off road terrain.

I had an opportunity to test the lockers recently on some comically easy terrain and it really did not impress as I had to turn on the rear lockers just to get over some barely steep dirt. Maybe a different off road mode would have worked better but it wasn’t a testament to the ease of use or the CT's compatibility with the mental process of an average off roader (i.e. try 4L, then rear lockers, etc.) in a situation where the vehicle had limited traction.

The CT shines in a lot of ways off road but the way you've presented this information is deeply flawed.

OP
OP

Rocwurst

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Country flag
The main problem here which is glaringly obvious to anyone that understands vehicle geometry such as approach angle, breakover etc, is that you've used the "maximums" for all of these figures and at the "extract" ride height you have absolutely no articulation and very little travel available to you. If you were to drive in extract against a Raptor R over a variety of surfaces the CT would be laughed out of the room. You cannot simply compare the numbers without looking totally clueless about your understanding of how these numbers are measured.
Kelvin, perhaps you are forgetting that 4 out of the 5 EVs in this chart also have adjustable air suspensions with similar constraints as the Cybertruck's suspension meaning that comparing these specs as shown in the chart is absolutely useful and entirely valid.

However, you are right in highlighting how tricky it is to compare those 4 vehicles with adjustable air suspensions against the fixed coil suspensions in the F-150 Lightning and Raptor.
So in order to better compare the geometry figures you need to determine things such as breakover, approach angle, etc. at ride heights where you have more travel, reasonable articulation etc. and that is tricky without going and measuring directly yourself. The numbers you show are maximums and they are not all "compatible" with each other, i.e. you will not have 12" of travel at 16" ride height and you will not have the approach, breakover, and departure angles at the 12" travel ride height (presumably very high).
Choosing such a customised metric would perhaps make it a little easier to compare the 2 Fords against the other trucks in the chart but unless you have a reviewer who has set up such a technical comparison between all 6 of these trucks, it's pretty much beyond the scope of this chart I'm afraid.

However, I will add a footnote to highlight this issue.

Also, note that even with fixed coil or leaf suspensions, approach, departure and ramp over angles will change on different sides of the body due to compression and extension of the suspension at the extremities. So the question then becomes - is it better to lift one wheel in order to stop any part of the body scraping on rocks or is it better to accept a lower ground clearance (on airbags or fixed coils/leafs) in order to keep all 4 wheels on the ground for longer?

I think the answer to that question will vary on the situation, but the air suspension vehicles have the advantage of being able to choose whether to go ultra-high ground clearance or not so that I think justifies listing those maximum ground clearance values.

Note that Tesla's CyberTruck Off-road Guide states:

"High setting represents the ideal setting for compression and rebound balance"

High setting has a ground clearance of 13.1" which is only 0.4" shy of the Raptor's 13.5" under-body ground clearance and several inches greater than the Raptor's under-diff clearance.

Based on just a general understanding of what happens with a long wheelbase truck (such as the Jeep Gladiator, R1T, etc.) the breakover will be bad at a normal ride height, the departure angle is ok but could be better with aftermarket bumpers, and you need to remove a slew of fairings to achieve any kind of reasonable off road performance that doesn't tear up a bunch of plastic pieces.
Yes, the Cybertruck manual recommends removing some of the plastic fairings around the wheels when off-roading. Considering the vast majority of trucks aren't taken off-road - let alone into serious off-road situations, I think Tesla's choice to increase range by including such plastic fairings to optimise aerodynamic performance is the correct decision.
Also, the CT needs a sway bar disconnect kit to improve articulation so out of the box there are a lot of things that can be done to improve performance. A Bronco/Wrangler Rubicon can disconnect their sway bars with a switch/button so in terms of just keeping up with off road tech the CT is more in the Rivian camp which is to say it is better for overlanding and the demands for that don't usually require 16" of ground clearance or a lot of articulation.
Actually, one of the most common scenarios I encounter where the highest ground clearance is required (but a lot of articulation is not required) is when driving in deep wheel ruts which bottom out vehicles on the hump and rocks in the middle of the track leaving all wheels spinning. This also often happens in mud and sand.

These are prime examples where that diff hanging down under solid axle trucks like the Raptor reducing ground clearance to a measly 10-11" is a major disadvantage and where the massive 16" ground clearance of the Cybertruck really shows its mettle. And as I say, the reduced suspension articulation is not a problem in those examples.
Given the lack of rock sliders and the very flimsy nature of the fairings the CT is not off-road ready. Just driving on the freeway caused me to damage both rear wheel fairings from hitting tire debris and Tesla did not engineer them for easy removal with two screws threaded from the inside. Ford also had some major teething with developing the Bronco for off-roading without unexpected damage (I have owned 3) so it's not like this isn't unexpected.
Serious off-roaders (myself included) at a minimum take off the plastic bumpers front and rear on our 4WDs and put on after-market metal bullbars with winches (called Roobars here in Australia :) rocksliders, bash plates and the like so it is to be expected that will happen with the Cybertruck as well.

Off-roading is all about ACCESSORIES(!!) after all. :LOL:
I personally wouldn't want a Raptor R for off-roading but generally the CT needs modification to improve departure angle and avoid damage and the ability to take 37" tires would be a huge improvement but the suspension components may not be engineered for that. Ford has done a decent job engineering their latest vehicles for modification and Tesla's wimpy looking upper control arms are basically designed for urban use only unless you want to carry around thousands in spare parts and can repair your suspension out on the trail.
I think the jury is still out on that as the stub-axles of the Cybertruck are attached next to the lower swing-arms which are very beefy. In contrast, the upper swing-arms are not nearly as load bearing.
So if you're just using this chart and drawing paper based conclusions on its superiority you're going to be deeply disappointed if you drive something like an unmodified Jeep Wrangler that has good articulation with solid axles (aka no lockers needed vs the CT slipping on comically easy terrain due to poor articulation) on moderately easy off road terrain.
I think most of the footage of Cybertrucks slipping in comically easy terrain occurred prior to the major Off-road software update which enabled the front and rear diff lockers amongst other features like Trail Mode and/or are down to inexperienced drivers putting the CT in Extract mode when they shouldn't. As I mention in the footnotes of the chart, the manual explicitly says to choose Rock mode for maximum articulation:

Rock mode : When the ride height is Very High, the suspension system pneumatically connects the springs on the front and rear axles, increasing suspension articulation for maximum traction.”​
It is also obvious that Tesla is still gradually improving and dialling in the software to optimise traction control etc off-road. Rivian likewise took a while to optimise their off-road software after release.
I had an opportunity to test the lockers recently on some comically easy terrain and it really did not impress as I had to turn on the rear lockers just to get over some barely steep dirt. Maybe a different off road mode would have worked better but it wasn’t a testament to the ease of use or the CT's compatibility with the mental process of an average off roader (i.e. try 4L, then rear lockers, etc.) in a situation where the vehicle had limited traction.
It sounds like you didn't call up the Off-Road app and select the appropriate setting like Rock Mode as detailed above? Yes the Cybertruck requires drivers to be more conscious of what mode they are in, but that's what allows it to optimise the performance of the suspension and traction control for on-road as well as all of the different off-road conditions encountered.

Most vehicles optimised for off-road wallow like whales on-road - the Cybertruck doesn't. You just need to choose the correct setting for the conditions.
The CT shines in a lot of ways off road but the way you've presented this information is deeply flawed.
Hopefully I've explained the rationale for many of the choices in the chart, but thanks for your helpful perspective that I'll use to modify the next version of this chart.

Last edited:

Drummerm

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Tesla Model S, 2022 Ford Lightning
Country flag
FWIW

My 2018 Raptor with a Supercab (no longer offered) only had around 320 miles of range on a full tank. In my opinion, it was a better off road vehicle than the Crewcab model due to its shorter length but definitely suffered with 'range' due to the smaller fuel tank. I don't take my Lightning off road but it is a great work truck (far better than the Raptor). I'd imagine that the Cybertruck will be great at both. My only question is the size of the frunk. I think I should be able to store my tool belt and PPE in there along with some electronics with no issue but am unsure of a lunch bucket will fit too.

Tesla Cybertruck Offroad Specs Comparison Chart -- Cybertruck vs Rivian, Lightning, Silverado, Hummer, Raptor IMG_6410

kbolt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Country flag
This is such a great chart, thank you for this. I saw someone posting on X the other day that the Cybertruck isn't as good as the to vehicle in ask these different categories, but that it's a close second. This chart actually shows that it's probably right up there for off roading. It would be interesting to see this with a Jeep comparison as well.
Sponsored