Tesla has changed 50% of the parts on the car
Two new colors: Ultra Red and Stealth Gray
Ambient LED lighting in the interior
Main screen is now brighter and more responsive
Rear 8-inch screen
Customizable cabin lighting
Brand new steering wheel
Center console redesigned
Materials inside the car in general have been improved.
Real metal when you touch giving a more premium feel
More sound insulation in the car
30% decrease in wind and ambient noise
25% improvement in impact noise
20% improvement in road noise
Acoustic glass for rear windows
There's an uptick in the hood to let wind go over more quietly
Upgraded suspension with new springs and dampers.
Changed the geometry of the front suspension and changed the way they mount the sub frame to the chassis
New Photon and Nova wheels
The tires are more cushioning

F45grokXwAAULJF.jpeg

F45gsHjXUAEgFFx.jpeg

F45gz4FXQAAhPZZ.jpeg

F45jI9kXQAAIdqD.jpeg

F45h0z5XIAArGPD.jpeg

F45hjnSWAAAwd6b.jpeg

F45hUSNXsAAkyiE.jpeg

F45iHeEW8AABbMa.jpeg

F45iXlKWMAAMK_l.jpeg

F45ijUHX0AAP4pX.jpeg

F48MmFqXsAAY3Jf.jpeg

F48MoqqWwAAA-AK.jpeg

F48MpD1WIAAruiG.jpeg
Maybe it's stated, and clear to eagle eyed 'Tesla Spotters' that the rear lights now move with the rear deck lid. VEWY KOOL.
They get around the LAW by using two low mount lights, while the rear brake light remains visible along with the subtle edges of the illuminated tail lights.
Sponsored

JWass

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC90
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Look at it this way. They’re preparing cars for driverless abilities. They built in all the tech for it so that once the software is perfected it’ll be seamless.
Additionally the blinker controls and others are on the steering wheel. Check pictures of the wheel for the latest model S.
If we keep doing the same thing cause it’s what has been done for a century. We wouldn’t have AC, cell phones, computers, and on and on.
Challenge the norm and the UI will catch up. It’s easy to update and improve.
Hence why they did it.

Raebrek

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Toyota Highlander, 2016 Subaru Outback
Country flag
No shift lever will suck big time off-road in the CT.

You can't rock yourself out of a bog, or use short run ups over obstacles. Quick turn around for reorientation on a climb. Simply: no inertia no climb. Traction control or AI can't compete with that. Anyone who claims any different knows nothing about off reading, and should stay in park on their freeway.

Will be my first mod if there's no fast access to cycle between D and R.
you just use bog mode. Don’t worry, I’ll stay on the road.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Well, it was MY question. So, it was the question.

The point I was making is, there isn't a "standard" interface for most of the last century. Shifters are in all sorts of places, and with all sorts of formats, and all sorts of controls. And yet, people adapt.

The controls you are using in your daily drive in your Y aren't changing. The controls in the new S/3 are just different. Why is it better? I never said it was, I said it was different, just like all the other differences we have adapted to over the past century. Elon has said the best part is no part. So maybe to him it's better. This could improve reliability and reduce part count and thus cost, and that benefits you, and that could be better. It may not be a significant cost, but like trying to lighten a car, every little bit helps. It's the sum of all the little things that makes a difference.

Maybe it's a horrible idea and Tesla will backtrack in the future. But until you've had it for a little while and used it and gotten used to it, you just don't know. There is an airplane that I fly from time to time. It has a very unique flight control system. When I think of it in my mind (even at this very moment), I can't imagine that I could ever get used to it. It just seems so foreign and awkward to me. But when I get into the plane and fly with it, I don't even notice the difference. The odd control stick feels so "normal" and natural to me, it just works. It's not inherently better or worse. It has advantages, and disadvantages. But it taught me that what I imagine in my mind on how an interface would work and feel, is a long way from how it really works and feels when you use it. This COULD be the same thing.

As for your wiper issue, try looking at this link. These guys make "S3XY" buttons and rotary knobs that appear to be the equivalent to remote function controls for things you want to address without the screen. Might address your problem, might not. It might work with shifting, might not. They might create a remote shifter, who knows. At least worth a look.

https://tsportline.com/collections/s3xy-buttons-knob-tesla-function-controllers

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
New Model 3 Refresh Model Highlights

Front-end facelift
Range has increased 12%:
⚡ SR RWD now 344 miles of range (WLTP)
⚡ Long Range now 421 miles (WLTP)
Tesla's lowest Cd yet of .219
Tesla has changed 50% of the parts on the car
Two new colors: Ultra Red and Stealth Gray
Ambient LED lighting in the interior
Main screen is now brighter and more responsive
Rear 8-inch screen
Customizable cabin lighting
Brand new steering wheel
Center console redesigned
Materials inside the car in general have been improved.
Real metal when you touch giving a more premium feel
More sound insulation in the car
30% decrease in wind and ambient noise
25% improvement in impact noise
20% improvement in road noise
Acoustic glass for rear windows
There's an uptick in the hood to let wind go over more quietly
Upgraded suspension with new springs and dampers.
Changed the geometry of the front suspension and changed the way they mount the sub frame to the chassis
New Photon and Nova wheels
The tires are more cushioning

F45grokXwAAULJF.jpeg

F45gsHjXUAEgFFx.jpeg

F45gz4FXQAAhPZZ.jpeg

F45jI9kXQAAIdqD.jpeg

F45h0z5XIAArGPD.jpeg

F45hjnSWAAAwd6b.jpeg

F45hUSNXsAAkyiE.jpeg

F45iHeEW8AABbMa.jpeg

F45iXlKWMAAMK_l.jpeg

F45ijUHX0AAP4pX.jpeg

F48MmFqXsAAY3Jf.jpeg

F48MoqqWwAAA-AK.jpeg

F48MpD1WIAAruiG.jpeg
This is awesome! I really like the ambient interior lighting. This will be in the CT, too, along with the rear screen. This is a great evolution of the Model 3. I can’t wait to see what they do with a smaller, more affordable hatchback.

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
Was hoping for next gen motor combo. Otherwise nothing notable I'm afraid. :(

Maybe we'll get a nice price reduction?
Nope, it will cost the same or a little bit more. What you want is the Gen 3 vehicle, which isn’t even being built yet.

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
All I can say is that, respectably, you are wrong on both accounts. Many have complained about the Model S system. Indeed there are people who ended up not buying after driving with it. It’s easy to believe as the lack of physical wiper controls on the Model 3 was already a nuisance.

There is no way an AI can guess with 100% accuracy what you want. There are easy cases like in and out of a parking spot. But then there is towing, 3 point turns, parallel parking (the Tesla AI was always poor at recognising that), reversing out of the way of a danger zone etc. Without being able to read your mind it is not going to be able to predict those. The knowledge that it won’t means you’ll have to constantly double check the screen and many of those shuffling moves are annoying to execute by swiping a screen. That’s the problem with AI systems guessing what you want: they are not predictable from a human POV and thus lead to confusion and non-deterministic interaction (which is why they kind of disappeared from computer UIs).

Any UX book will talk about the importance of tactile feedback for key functions. Especially the kind that should be possible to do without looking. Driving direction is such a function. Tesla is not removing that control for your benefit, but purely to save costs for themselves.
Absolutely. When people say, the best part is no part, that’s from the manufacturer’s perspective, not the customer’s. They save money and make more profit. Apple has done this as well, sometimes to the determinant of the product (single button on mouse, circular mouse design, top-loading CD drive, removal of ports, etc.)

In a vehicle, most people want a combination of tactical buttons that they can use without looking and a touch screen. The best of both worlds, if you will.

CYBRSMTH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Fit
Country flag
Look at it this way. They’re preparing cars for driverless abilities. They built in all the tech for it so that once the software is perfected it’ll be seamless.
Additionally the blinker controls and others are on the steering wheel. Check pictures of the wheel for the latest model S.
If we keep doing the same thing cause it’s what has been done for a century. We wouldn’t have AC, cell phones, computers, and on and on.
Challenge the norm and the UI will catch up. It’s easy to update and improve.
Hence why they did it.
Companies sometimes change things before there are complete solutions to justify those changes, like FSD. I think they do this to force themselves to innovate more rapidly. Apple does this, too. It doesn’t always work out.

Last edited: