Email received: Cybertruck reservation holders asked to buy something else "while you wait"?

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
Hey, How is the ride quality and acceleration of your F150 Lightning?
I gave up on the Cybertruck with that ridiculous price and got a test drive setup for Monday.
The ride quality is smooth and quiet and the acceleration is way faster than I need. Every now and then I show off the acceleration to people who've never experienced an EV and the resulting reaction is always priceless.

As a ling time ICE F-150 driver, the main thing I can say about it is that you get everything people loved about the ICE version, with the added benefits of an EV platform. You give up none of the things the F-150 is known for and get plenty of bonuses.
Sponsored

Idea Of The Day

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ideaoftheday.com
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightning
Occupation
Software Developer, Vlogger
Country flag
I got the email from Tesla (2nd year reservation). Also Silverado ev reservation reminder followed by KIA EV9 reservation request emails. All their competitors were watching and laughing. Chomping at the bit to steal customers. Honestly not hard after that.

This is a perfect encapsulation of the epic fail that is Elon/CT marketing:

Promise:
Tesla-Cybertruck-bed.jpg

Deliver:
https://shop.tesla.com/product/cybertruck-tailgate-ramp

Promise:
In-bed air compressor for tools

Deliver:
https://shop.tesla.com/product/cybertruck-air-compressor-ultra-_-tire-repair-kit

Why would anyone want to purchase stylized products of existing products that are much cheaper and made by companies who have been making them for decades vs the ones being made very transparently to just barely claim you delivered what you promised?!

Result:
Pay a premium for a crap stylized version of an existing product that costs 3x less! All for the warm and fuzzy feeling that you love Elon and Elon loves you!

Grifters gonna grift. Like I've said before regarding him.
I really wanted that ramp to be in the final version. It was my favorite feature. I'm sure it added a lot of weight to the tailgate, but I'm guessing it came down to bigger engineering challenges, like making it strong enough, yet collapsible, and the potential problem with lowering the ramp while the truck is not low enough, etc..

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Cybertruck Owner!
Country flag
OT, but I’ll second/third the praise for the Lightning. Had the Platinum up until my R1S came. Loved it and it was hard to part with, but we needed the 3rd row of the Rivian and some other factors came into play. Anyone disappointed with the Cybertruck really should check it out. Cabin was amazing, drive was silky smooth, plenty fast, fit and finish was great, and frunk size was amazeballs.

Prime8

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Colorado,
Occupation
Construction
Country flag
11274.... I got the sales pitch email plus two texts today trying to sell me a Model y........

rizvend

First Name
JAKEMBL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybrtrk, aptera reserved
Occupation
Nurse Informaticist
Country flag
I got it about 2 hours ago. RN112754xxx
Got it but didn't think much of it. Brilliant marketting though, like showing you an itch that isn't there, you still keep scratching.

maaficook

First Name
Maafi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck Reservation
Occupation
School Admin
Country flag
Got the same email just now.

Note: I didn't get the email until I went to my Tesla account profile and allow Tesla to send me newsletter and other emails.

Edit: My RN is in the RN113s.
Thanks for the tidbit about turning on the email subscription feature in my profile. Let's see if I get the email now!

RN11276XXXX

privateer

First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Tesla model 3, Ordered 2 motor cyber truck
Occupation
business owner
Country flag
Didn’t get one - RN 1127462XX

I’m early in the Day 1 queue (if that even means anything) as I placed my deposit the moment the URL went up. I know plenty here believe RN is irrelevant, so perhaps these emails and associated RNs will tell us something.

[Edit] Email just appeared in my inbox and my RN above is sub 2,500.
I got one and I’m like 250,000th in line

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla M3P, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Working
Country flag
I have not gotten the email (we’re far down the line (RN1158…) but my wife and I got pummeled by texts and emails earlier this week. Coincidentally, we had just stoped by to see the CT in Dublin, CA.
I had to tell them that we’re waiting for the CT or refreshed S and already own a M3P for them to stop and thank us for being part of the family.

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag
OT, but I’ll second/third the praise for the Lightning. Had the Platinum up until my R1S came. Loved it and it was hard to part with, but we needed the 3rd row of the Rivian and some other factors came into play. Anyone disappointed with the Cybertruck really should check it out. Cabin was amazing, drive was silky smooth, plenty fast, fit and finish was great, and frunk size was amazeballs.
How is the lightning for Road Trips? I did a test drive of an XLT on Thursday with the wife, and we generally liked the vehicle and could reserve one of the ones that are inbound to the lot for under MSRP. My only hesitation is we wanted the vehicle for some road tripping (non-towing) and that is one of the things I love about Tesla, the charging network and experience.

My hesitation for the Lightning is primarily that I have heard that is charges slowly. Is this true? The other issue is of course not using NACS, but the adapters are supposed to be out in the spring so in theory that should help address that issue.

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Cybertruck Owner!
Country flag
How is the lightning for Road Trips? I did a test drive of an XLT on Thursday with the wife, and we generally liked the vehicle and could reserve one of the ones that are inbound to the lot for under MSRP. My only hesitation is we wanted the vehicle for some road tripping (non-towing) and that is one of the things I love about Tesla, the charging network and experience.

My hesitation for the Lightning is primarily that I have heard that is charges slowly. Is this true? The other issue is of course not using NACS, but the adapters are supposed to be out in the spring so in theory that should help address that issue.
About two weeks after we got it (summer of ‘22) we did a road trip from SoCal to Vail, CO. Roughly 1k miles each way. Can honestly say it was the best road trip vehicle I’ve ever had for the same reasons I stated above. I was nervous about the literal and figurative charging deserts, but never had an issue. Did the trip going out there over a couple of days and saw the Mighty 5 parks in Utah. On the way home left at 5am from Vail and arrived home in SoCal around midnight.

Only had one EA station on the way home where they were all temporarily only putting out 50 kw as opposed to the 200ish (I honestly don’t remember what it was, but it charged as expected in all my experiences.) ou don’t get the same speed as the Hyundais and Porsche with the 400V architecture, but only takes a few minutes more.

Was speaking with a guy I met at a Christmas party last night and my wife overheard us talking about cars. He used to be an engineer for Volvo, and we got to talking about nearly all the cars we’ve owned over the past 25 years. My 5’1” wife piped up that, surprisingly to her, despite its size the Lighting was her favorite car we’ve ever owned.

FWIW since I exclusively charge at home or work unless I’m on a road trip, I don’t even think about charging speeds any longer. When I do the very occasional trip I just accept the fact I’ll be stopping, checking emails, take a leak, maybe eat some food, and usually by the time I’m done with all that it’s almost to 80% and off to the next charger.

ResolutSoul

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 100D & CT
Occupation
NOYFB
Country flag
Start of all res number 4100 I’m sub 400 and adjusted for trim sub 100.

I have not received the “buy a different Tesla while you wait” bs email.

I would image that email went out to those with high res numbers as a carrot to keep them patiently waiting in line or push them toward other Tesla assuming they are not willing to pay the price bump. As noted by many others here

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Cybertruck Owner!
Country flag

I would image that email went out to those with high res numbers as a carrot to keep them patiently waiting in line or push them toward other Tesla assuming they are not willing to pay the price bump. As noted by many others here
I would generally agree with you, but I wouldn’t consider my sub 2,500 number “high” and got the email. That said, I’m certainly not as low as yours. G’luck and hope you get the real deal soon.

Regenshire

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 RWD LR, Model Y Perf, CyberTruck AWD Order
Occupation
IT
Country flag

Are you signed up for Tesla Newsletter / Promotional Emails? I bet you only receive it if you are.

CHC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Model X
Country flag
Just received a text "As an early Cybertruck reservation holder, you're eligible to receive $1,000 toward a new Model S..." Anyone else? RN11274...
Sponsored