evazquezcu

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Chevy Silverado LT
Country flag
The amount of reported accidents considering the absolutely rarity of the CT, star sounding surreal. The probability base on production numbers is minimal but somehow we have several accidents already reported
Sponsored

Alto

First Name
Alto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R100S
Country flag
That looks like a part from the other vehicle stuck on the door.
I’m wondering why when I look up the NHTSA safety rating for the Cybertruck, I see it reported as not tested.

If someone knows the reason please share it.

Me and alot of other people give a significant amount of attention to Cybertruck accident photos, as we try to guess its safety rating for ourselves.

The absence of safety rails inside the doors remains a concern to me.

Before its release, we were told the stainless steel exoskeleton put the structure on the outside. We don’t see that here. We have since learned the panels aren’t really the supporting structure.

We were told the same stainless steel that was used in the rocket construction would be used in the truck. I don’t think that has been the case. Its a custom alloy and its engineering specifications are still Tesla Secret. It has so much iron in its composition it’s magnetic. It’s surface is easily stained by bird droppings. EM said if there’s something better thay’d use it.

This accident certainly put alot of compound curves in the panels and it doesn’t look like its springing back.

My opinion is that a lot of the truck’s design was to make it faster and less expensive to manufacture. I’m sincerely hoping safety wasn’t sacrificed to that end.

Last edited:

Alto

First Name
Alto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R100S
Country flag
I’m wondering why when I look up the NHTSA safety rating for the Cybertruck, I see it reported as not tested.

Me and alot of other people give a significant amount of attention to Cybertruck accident photos, as we try to guess its safety rating for ourselves.

Before its release, we were told the stainless steel exoskeleton put the structure on the outside. We don’t see that here. We have since learned the panels aren’t really the supporting structure.

We were told the same stainless steel that was used in the rocket construction would be used in the truck. I don’t think that has been the case. Its a custom alloy and its engineering specifications are still Tesla Secret. It has so much iron in its composition it’s magnetic. It’s surface is easily stained by bird droppings. EM said if there’s something better thay’d use it.

This accident certainly put alot of compound curves in the panels and it doesn’t look like its springing back.

My opinion is that a lot of the truck’s design was to make it faster and less expensive to manufacture. I’m sincerely hoping safety wasn’t sacrificed to that end.
To answer my own question, Here’s the Google AI answer,
Why hasn’t NHTSA safety tested the Cybertruck?

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) hasn't conducted any official crash tests on the Tesla Cybertruck yet, for a couple of reasons:

• Manufacturer Self-Certification: In the US, car manufacturers are responsible for ensuring their vehicles meet safety standards set by the NHTSA. This means they can conduct their own crash tests and submit data to the NHTSA for approval. While NHTSA can conduct its own tests, resource limitations often mean they rely on manufacturer data unless there's a specific reason for concern.
  • No Public Data From Tesla: Tesla has so far not availed themselves of the NHTSA's testing nomination process,which would expedite testing They've also not released any data from their own crash tests on the Cybertruck.

Here's some additional info:

• The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) also conducts independent crash tests. They currently don't have plans to test the Cybertruck due to funding limitations and the fact that the IIHS verification program, which allows manufacturers to submit their own data, isn't currently an option for the Cybertruck's design.
  • The lack of independent safety ratings is a concern for some potential buyers, since the Cybertruck's unconventional design raises questions about how it would perform in a crash.

mrbulk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D
Country flag
Makes me wonder if it was indeed a Toyota Tundra as mentioned on an earlier post, or something lighter because the speed and mass would determine much of the resulting damage.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag

This post takes the blue ribbon for ridiculousness.

First, you display your ignorance by not knowing that NHTSA chooses the cars to test based primarily on the volume of cars on the road. They don't crash test low volume cars until their sales rise high enough to be significant. I believe they will eventually crash test it, but not for some time. They don't have the funding to test every model.

Secondly, you are concerned about the absence of safety rails inside the door when those are actually thin stamped steel sheet metal parts designed to give some structure to a thin door stamped out of soft, mild steel that is many times thinner than the ultra-hard 1.8 mm thick stainless steel door panels that are laser welded to inner stainless-steel stampings. The Cybertruck doors are much stronger than traditional doors that have stamped crash rails.

Third, you display a total lack of understanding of the metalurgy of the Cybertrucks panels while acting like you know what you are talking about. The difference in magnetism between the non-magnetic alloy before it is cold-worked and the magnetism present after the cold-working is not due to a change in the iron content, it is due to the manner in which the cold working rearranges the molecular structure of the alloy. No iron is added.

Fourth, you show concern that the deformed metal in the doors did not spring back. In what kind of metallurgical reality do doors "spring back" after being bent in an accident?

Your post is the height of arrogance (for pretending you know anything about about crash safety) and ignorance (for propogating so many ignorant beliefs).

Take your fake concern and shove it somewhere where people are actually guliable! Any journalist who picks up on your dumb ideas will simply be revealing themselves as the idiots they are. There is no way my F-150 would have held up to this kind of impact without turning into a half-moon shape. Did you even bother to look up how traditional pickups fare in high speed side impacts? No, I didn't think so. The Cybertruck's crash resistance was nothing short of very impressive.

Alto

First Name
Alto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R100S
Country flag
This post takes the blue ribbon for ridiculousness.

First, you display your ignorance by not knowing that NHTSA chooses the cars to test based primarily on the volume of cars on the road. They don't crash test low volume cars until their sales rise high enough to be significant. I believe they will eventually crash test it, but not for some time. They don't have the funding to test every model.

Secondly, you are concerned about the absence of safety rails inside the door when those are actually thin stamped steel sheet metal parts designed to give some structure to a thin door stamped out of soft, mild steel that is many times thinner than the ultra-hard 1.8 mm thick stainless steel door panels that are laser welded to inner stainless-steel stampings. The Cybertruck doors are much stronger than traditional doors that have stamped crash rails.

Third, you display a total lack of understanding of the metalurgy of the Cybertrucks panels while acting like you know what you are talking about. The difference in magnetism between the non-magnetic alloy before it is cold-worked and the magnetism present after the cold-working is not due to a change in the iron content, it is due to the manner in which the cold working rearranges the molecular structure of the alloy. No iron is added.

Fourth, you show concern that the deformed metal in the doors did not spring back. In what kind of metallurgical reality do doors "spring back" after being bent in an accident?

Your post is the height of arrogance (for pretending you know anything about about crash safety) and ignorance (for propogating so many ignorant beliefs).

Take your fake concern and shove it somewhere where people are actually guliable! Any journalist who picks up on your dumb ideas will simply be revealing themselves as the idiots they are. There is no way my F-150 would have held up to this kind of impact without turning into a half-moon shape. Did you even bother to look up how traditional pickups fare in high speed side impacts? No, I didn't think so. The Cybertruck's crash resistance was nothing short of very impressive.
Dear Mr. H.A.,
I do enjoy reading your posts. I’m able to extract some useful information from them. I hope you don’t find my posts too upsetting.

Don’t worry about insulting me. I take that with a grain of salt?

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck T-Bone accident at high speed - damage photos IMG_1288

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Makes me wonder if it was indeed a Toyota Tundra as mentioned on an earlier post, or something lighter because the speed and mass would determine much of the resulting damage.
It looks like a Ford Edge to me.

The thing is, the speed of the vehicle matters more than the weight, because the energy increases with the square of the speed, while it only increases linearly with the weight.

easytravelman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Model X P90D signature
Occupation
Hard money lender. real estate and crypto investor
Country flag
RIP Cybertruck. Alas we hardly knew thee…
Well after all the publicity about 30x cold role steel bullet proof etc. In my opinion the CT did absolutely terrible. Reminds of a tin can that collapsed. The other car seems to have faired better considering it hit a CT. I would have thought the other truck was ready for the scrap yard. I keep getting disappointed. First the extensive maintenance required to keep the metal from all the issues we have read about. Wheel covers were defective and caused damage to the tires, center hold covers still not out yet, and it certainly doesn't feel like I am getting anywhere near the distance per kWh. The vehicle was 4 years in development and tested all over the world...

TWRAPS

Site Sponsor
First Name
Iliya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2024 Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
He doesn't, he's just trying to throw shade on the Cybertruck, without having any of the facts.
I am not, but as a fellow Cybertruck owner I feel equality entitled to share my opinion in the public domain. Everyone of course is welcome to disagree. I’ve seen my fair share of crashes and while I don’t know the speed of the other vehicle I can see the other vehicle did not suffer that much damage. Even the windshield is not broken. The front is a shock absorb area and it looks the way it’s supposed to so we can judge the impact by the rest of the car which seems mostly fine.
Sponsored