Solar panels and battery to get unlimited range ...

Darthamerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast and Model S P90D
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
So I have thrown a few likes on the comments that are spot on.

Have to understand a few things.

Stationary or portable.
What else if portable is one proposing carrying
Are we having diminishing returns?
Are we trying to prove something or enjoy something.

There are systems, but what is one doing off grid? Current Solar generat

This is not a Tesla thing. This is understanding electricity and how it moves through a system.
Pretty sure on the yes on the second.

I am reading.

So I could do it. I don't want to, and I don't understand the desire.

I could put a Sol-Ark 8kw Inverter along with 30kWh of batteries laying on the bed. Inverter mounted on back wall. Then lay 5 500W panels on top. Just throwing it out there.

Similar, but a smaller system than what I have. Again just don't get the desire.

Many out there must not boondock. If you feel the need to move around all the time, can't do anything like hike or be active outside, and view that seeing the outdoors via a car or truck is the way. Boondocking in an EV isn't likely for you.

Bringing a trailer of stuff for activities from a base camp is so awesome, and could let a system work over a week.

Think my off grid system takes about a day to charge my truck. I am in no rush, and have another EV to charge to make sure after my campgrounds needs are covered, it is always charging an EV.

So if something takes 4 or 5 days. Who cares? The people that can't sit still, and aren't really outdoorsy people to begin with.
It’s a Tesla thing if you’re trying to do calculations for a specific model. Getting it wrong can get you stuck or worse. For CT it’s not a good idea to assume 400 Wh/mi in a scenario like the OP described.
Sponsored

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
If you could help me out, you would have. Instead the numbers make the answer to the OPs question quite obvious. But if you think you have a better way to do it, show us what you got!
I'm surprised you're still confused on this. Even 1000W worth of solar panels and a compatible battery generator is going counteract the certainty of phantom drain and add miles of range every sunny day it's used to charge the EV. In otherwords, you can camp indefinitely, as long as you keep getting mostly sunny days, which is the reality in many popular camping areas in Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, etc. That is not the case with propane or diesel, eventually your source of fuel runs out. And I know the sound of a generator running would negate the reason many people like to boondock in the first place.

Darthamerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
Not for extended boondocking. Once the propane is gone, it's gone. You will have to go back into town.
This is an example of trying to be right. Now let’s see how many Cybertruck owners are realistically going to take their vehicle and vanish into the “boondocks” for a longer than a few weeks? If this is a real worry why not just buy a ICE vehicle and never need to worry about charging? Some of them can go 700 miles on a tank of gas! Hell why even take a vehicle at all?

Darthamerica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Country flag
I'm surprised you're still confused on this. Even 1000W worth of solar panels and a compatible battery generator is going counteract the certainty of phantom drain and add miles of range every sunny day it's used to charge the EV. In otherwords, you can camp indefinitely, as long as you keep getting mostly sunny days, which is the reality in many popular camping areas in Utah, Colorado, Arizona, New Mexico, etc. That is not the case with propane or diesel, eventually your source of fuel runs out. And I know the sound of a generator running would negate the reason many people like to boondock in the first place.
“As long as you keep getting mostly sunny days?”

There is no way you or anyone can forecast weather with that kind of certainty. All it would take is an unexpected haze, fog, rain, clouds, extreme hot/cold and if you’re way out in the middle of nowhere with an empty battery, you’d be stuck or worse!

If we’re going to make up unrealistic scenarios then why not put an RTG in the mix?

firsttruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Country flag
Captain obvious here.

Propane tanks and a generator will get you back for a lot less weight and $$. Solar not there yet…

Some reasons NOT to use propane or gasoline or diesel.

NOISE !!!!

vibration

general air pollution from exhaust.

smell from air pollution and fumes from fuel.

increased risk of accidental carbon monoxide poisoning situation

Safety: higher risks when fuel containers are in enclosed space. (want vault closed when traveling, no fuel containers in vault, cabin, frunk).

increased maintenance

higher maintenance cost.

increase cancer risk and other health issues from air pollution and fumes from fuel.

Go to pristine, scenic, and natural sounding outdoors to hear fossil fuel generators and to smell and breath exhaust air pollution. Why would I want that when now we have an alternative.

----------------

Firefighters are trained for “worst case scenarios” and recommend NOT keeping propane tanks in a vehicle. Usually propane tanks used for grilling are exposed to the elements and not in great condition. Therefore, a vehicle carrying propane tanks that is involved in an accident can lead to further damage to the shell of the propane tank and cause the most dangerous situation which is tank rupture. Those propane tanks are pressurized so much that it converts the propane gas into a liquid. If the shell ruptures, that liquid is no longer under pressure and it escapes into the environment and converts to gas at an expansion ratio of 270:1. Couple that tank rupture inside of a vehicle that catches fire secondary to an accident and boom. Worst case scenario.

Propane only needs 2-9% to become explosive. I wouldn't leave it inside vehicle for too long the tank could leak gas and it can ignite by touching something and releasing static electricity. Read the label on tank to be sure. Freak accidents happen all the time .

Propane is also heavier than air so it could fill up lower levels of area even with windows cracked

The pressure release safety valves can do there job and release gas. it only takes 2% propane in the air to become explosive no matter how tight you turn that valve

On propane vehicles, the tank is outside of the passenger compartment.
RVs usually mount propane tanks outside.

It's entirely plausible that a small leak inside the passenger compartment could result in the proper propane to air mixture for combustion. And static electricity could set it off.

Last edited:

Gurule92

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MYP
Occupation
"Cyber" stuff
Country flag
I've been toying with the idea of how to get unlimited range, albeit slowly, in my CT.

I have concluded that a battery and foldable solar panels may be the way to go.

However, which ones?

• Bluetti
  • Ecoflow
  • Jackery

The idea is to have a battery+solar for longer off grid trips, of which there are fewwr as the days go by. I suppose on such a trip, I would charge up before the last leg to the remote outpost and once there, deploy the panels, plug it into the battery and plug the truck into the battery.

In theory, the charge would be a trickle but mostly we would be sitting around so this would not be a big deal.

Also the charge is to the battery that can power the truck at 50 amps so the battery capacity is the limitation. So if I charge the battery during the day then at night, in can get some charge back into the truck.

Thoughts?
Best battery for this would be power wall! Or Anker x whatever

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
Sadly, this thread has descended into argumentative uselessness....
Sorry, that often happen when the usual suspects whose past time and actually source of joy is in pissing contests. Try saying today is Tuesday and someone will butt in to contradict that.

Anyway, I was thinking of 8 small turbines (or windmills) on a roof rack. But I'm afraid it will annoy other commuters with it's whoom, whoom... and anger the environmentalist for killing birds.

Someone want to chime in with impraticality? But I'll only accept it with numbers and drawings.

OP
OP

Zantosh76

First Name
Santosh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, model x, cybertruck
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Sorry, that often happen when the usual suspects whose past time and actually source of joy is in pissing contests. Try saying today is Tuesday and someone will butt in to contradict that.

Anyway, I was thinking of 8 small turbines (or windmills) on a roof rack. But I'm afraid it will annoy other commuters with it's whoom, whoom... and anger the environmentalist for killing birds.

Someone want to chime in with impraticality? But I'll only accept it with numbers and drawings.
Actually on this concept, I've always wondered why we don't have turbines in urinals, because for all those bars where people are drinking and they go and pee, we could capture that energy into a battery that can power the urinals auto flush or something like that. I wonder why we don't do that.

Cyberman

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150,F550, Escape
Occupation
Cybercontractor
Country flag
I've been toying with the idea of how to get unlimited range, albeit slowly, in my CT.

I have concluded that a battery and foldable solar panels may be the way to go.

However, which ones?

• Bluetti
  • Ecoflow
  • Jackery

The idea is to have a battery+solar for longer off grid trips, of which there are fewwr as the days go by. I suppose on such a trip, I would charge up before the last leg to the remote outpost and once there, deploy the panels, plug it into the battery and plug the truck into the battery.

In theory, the charge would be a trickle but mostly we would be sitting around so this would not be a big deal.

Also the charge is to the battery that can power the truck at 50 amps so the battery capacity is the limitation. So if I charge the battery during the day then at night, in can get some charge back into the truck.

Thoughts?
I like the idea of driving the sun, but...last I heard was you can get about 15 miles worth of charge per day from panels. You'd have to sit around for 10 days to get an extra 150 miles. Not sure what you mean about getting charge back into the truck at night. From charging on site?

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
No the issue is you made a bad assumption that I didn’t read your post when I fact I did. Then you got offended that I called your numbers for miles per day wildly optimistic…
Why must you prove again that you didn't read my first post? Or the post you called optimistic?

None of these are really good solutions...
But all of these will suffer the problem of being a small bucket of kilowatt hours trying to fill your big tank of a battery.

The real best solution would be a modification that allowed you to plug in panels directly to a solar controller feeding 800v to your truck's battery. But that's a problem that has yet to have off the shelf solutions.
It depends on two things: The power consumption of the mobility, and the frequency of the mobility.
Of course, panels aren't perfect, nor is the angle, and you're left with not a full footprint. But they could easily handle the amount of power of vampire drain, a percent or two a day.
Not only are you proving you didn't read my posts, you haven't posted any actual numbers.

...CT isn’t going to get 400 Wh/mi except in favorable conditions. The OP would need to plan for 500-600+ Wh/mi. That’s due to the road surface/off road...
I don't know where you're getting your numbers, but personally, when I'm around campgrounds, I'm not driving at freeway speeds. With an EV, that means you do better than EPA.

People who apparently camp on freeways baffle me.

-Crissa

Last edited:

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
I like the idea of driving the sun, but...last I heard was you can get about 15 miles worth of charge per day from panels. You'd have to sit around for 10 days to get an extra 150 miles. Not sure what you mean about getting charge back into the truck at night. From charging on site?
15 miles is 15 miles. That's a long way in one day of sun. It would take a long time to walk 15 miles and you couldn't bring all your stuff with you. You're not going to drive across the country with this, but for extended boondocking it can help you get back out. The usual problem with extended boondocking in an EV is your range gradually disappears with slow but predictable phantom drain. That can be a problem if you used 1/2 your range to get in, and you need almost 1/2 your range to get out. That's slim margins for phantom drain and estimation errors. You may or may not make it without adding some daily range from solar.

For those more interested in doing this than arguing, I'll show you a system that can help add range to your Cybertruck as you boondock for extended periods. In the Dual Motor Cybertruck you will need about 3,870 Wh per day (not including charging losses, transmission losses and phantom drain) to add 10 miles of EPA range per day. Generously assuming you will need to produce 30% more electricity to account for losses, you would need 5,031 Wh/day of solar production.

Tesla Cybertruck Solar panels and battery to get unlimited range ... Capture.JPG

To this 1200-watt, 6 panel system, it would be necessary to add two 3 into 1 solar panel plug adapters and a bonding ground plug (to fool the Cybertruck that the Jackery outlet is grounded) for a total system cost of around $4,600. Some solar panel extension cords could be convenient too, but I haven't included those.

These six folding solar panels will stack into a space only 9.5 inches tall, and 24"x21" (WxD). The solar panels each weigh 17.5 lbs. The battery generator is 10.5"x12"x15" and weighs 43 lbs. for a total system weight under 150 lbs, including the solar panels. This will have near zero impact on range, compared to how much it can add on the first day.

The 6 panels in this system are 200 Watts each for a total rating of 1200 watts. However, solar panels rarely produce their full rated output. Under full sun, you should be able to conservatively get in the neighborhood of 900-1000 wh (or almost a kWh for every hour of full sun). That means in 5 to 6 hours of direct sun, they can produce more than the 5,031 Wh needed to end up with 3,870 Wh (conservatively) in the EV after accounting for all losses. That's 10 miles of EPA range in a Dual Motor. This assumes Tesla optimizes the software to bring Cybertrucks phantom drain into line with their other EVs (which is a good assumption, I think).

Also, the panels will produce electricity in the early morning hours and late afternoon hours, albeit at a lower rate, this can be used each day too, by charging up the 2.1 kWh battery generator. That production is in addition to the 5,031 Wh calculated for production during the peak 5-6 hours of the day, when the vehicle is actually charging.

Now $4,600 is a lot to spend for slow charging in the backcountry. But additional range may not always be the priority, the extra electricity could also be used in the camp, to run a Dometic cooler, to make coffee or espresso (I have an Illy brand capsule espresso machine that is super efficient with the electrons and makes great espresso), to run an electric blanket in your tent on cold nights (deserts can get surprising cold at night), or even for a Starlink dish to get weather forecasts and stay in touch if out of cell range.

The point here is that electricity can be valuable and convenient in the backcountry, and you will have a good amount of it whenever the sun shines to use as you see fit, yes, including adding range to your EV. These numbers are not pie-in-the-sky numbers if you have sunny weather.

If this is not a use case you are interested in, that's fine, I'll probably never spend the money as I don't boondock for extended periods. The point is, for those who do, and who value flexibility over the cost of the system, it really works. After a few days at one camp, you might find you have enough range to confidently move camp 10-20 miles deeper into the backcountry. The possibilities expand when you can make your own electricity.

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
Actually on this concept, I've always wondered why we don't have turbines in urinals, because for all those bars where people are drinking and they go and pee, we could capture that energy into a battery that can power the urinals auto flush or something like that. I wonder why we don't do that.
You won the internet today. :p :love: 🤣

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
a!
I'm bowing out of this conversation, because no one is bothering to read my posts.

I don't know what's wrong with you that you think the only way to charge a battery is an inverter, but whatever. Or that my driveway which only get sun a few hours a day is representative of anything. I live deep in the woods. If you camp deep in the woods, clearly solar isn't going to work for you.

-Crissa

I AM reading your posts, very carefully.

How are you anticipating charging the Cybertruck without an Inverter? I'd really love to hear options. There may be indeed something that I've missed.

But what results did you get in your driveway? They don't have to be significant, especially when tested over a few hours.

I'm looking for ANY indication of possibility. There has been one, but it required a significant setup.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
15 miles is 15 miles. That's a long way in one day of sun. It would take a long time to walk 15 miles and you couldn't bring all your stuff with you. You're not going to drive across the country with this, but for extended boondocking it can help you get back out. The usual problem with extended boondocking in an EV is your range gradually disappears with slow but predictable phantom drain. That can be a problem if you used 1/2 your range to get in, and you need almost 1/2 your range to get out. That's slim margins for phantom drain and estimation errors. You may or may not make it without adding some daily range from solar.

For those more interested in doing this than arguing, I'll show you a system that can help add range to your Cybertruck as you boondock for extended periods. In the Dual Motor Cybertruck you will need about 3,870 Wh per day (not including charging losses, transmission losses and phantom drain) to add 10 miles of EPA range per day. Generously assuming you will need to produce 30% more electricity to account for losses, you would need 5,031 Wh/day of solar production.

Capture.JPG

To this 1200-watt, 6 panel system, it would be necessary to add two 3 into 1 solar panel plug adapters and a bonding ground plug (to fool the Cybertruck that the Jackery outlet is grounded) for a total system cost of around $4,600. Some solar panel extension cords could be convenient too, but I haven't included those.

These six folding solar panels will stack into a space only 9.5 inches tall, and 24"x21" (WxD). The solar panels each weigh 17.5 lbs. The battery generator is 10.5"x12"x15" and weighs 43 lbs. for a total system weight under 150 lbs, including the solar panels. This will have near zero impact on range, compared to how much it can add on the first day.

The 6 panels in this system are 200 Watts each for a total rating of 1200 watts. However, solar panels rarely produce their full rated output. Under full sun, you should be able to conservatively get in the neighborhood of 900-1000 wh (or almost a kWh for every hour of full sun). That means in 5 to 6 hours of direct sun, they can produce more than the 5,031 Wh needed to end up with 3,870 Wh (conservatively) in the EV after accounting for all losses. That's 10 miles of EPA range in a Dual Motor. This assumes Tesla optimizes the software to bring Cybertrucks phantom drain into line with their other EVs (which is a good assumption, I think).

Also, the panels will produce electricity in the early morning hours and late afternoon hours, albeit at a lower rate, this can be used each day too, by charging up the 2.1 kWh battery generator. That production is in addition to the 5,031 Wh calculated for production during the peak 5-6 hours of the day, when the vehicle is actually charging.
Do you realize that the phantom drain/efficiency when charging at 120V @12A is about 600W of loss?

It's really easy for you to prove me wrong, go plug your truck into 120V and see.
You can see how many mph charging you get as well.
Sponsored