Windshield rock pitting

BLU-UFO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid and McLaren 765LT Spider
Country flag
Sometimes the simplest solution is the one most overlooked—allow more distance to the vehicle in front of you…
Sponsored

OP
OP

rdalcanto

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Model X, and Model 3
Country flag
Sometimes the simplest solution is the one most overlooked—allow more distance to the vehicle in front of you…
I don't tailgate and leave a lot of distance. It is amazing how much small rocks bounce, etc.

(Our Model Y in Arizona has no paint protection, and not a single paint chip. Utah is on a WHOLE other level....)

Ray in montana

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
What did you put on? I didn't think that was an option for windshields.
Actually its not an option from Tesla. I've gone through 2 windshields within 2 years on my Jeep grand Cherokee here in MT. It's like its sand blasted and chipped within a year. So i did some research on line and there are a few companies that offer this windshield coating for high end cars. I bet you could find it in UT. It's a lot bigger than Missoula. My closest Tesla shop is in Washington and to take it down there would be a real hassle. It's 8mil thick and its available in tint or clear.

av8rdude

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, 2022 Model Y Performance
Occupation
Pilot
Country flag
5000 miles and no pitting on my windshield. I've had the exact opposite experience. All my other Teslas and cars get pitted from highway driving in ATL. The cybertruck is the only one to not have any pitting.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
5000 miles and no pitting on my windshield. I've had the exact opposite experience. All my other Teslas and cars get pitted from highway driving in ATL. The cybertruck is the only one to not have any pitting.
Well, everywhere has different kinds of rocks. The crystal size in the granite of the Rockies is larger than that in Georgia, for instance.

-Crissa
Sponsored