Why the ONE FINGER salute for the Cybertruck?? Top 10 reasons for the hate!

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla X Performance, CT soon.
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ask hard questions but don't be mad when context experts and collected evidence contradicts. Elon has trouble being contradicted when he's disinterested in the subject. I understand this intimately, as I have a similar neurodiverse diagnosis as he does. And unfortunately, I've had to face head on several of the things he hasn't had to, given his luck in life was a bit better on a few things. ^-^

And I rather appreciate his luck, as it got us some very nice things.

-Crissa
You are so right, experts and evidence are invaluable now, and rarely appreciated enough. I am not boasting when I reveal that I am 80 years old, and that the smallest city I lived in growing up was Los Angeles, and then I spent my life reading, teaching, and writing history and politics, mostly the latter. For the past 30+ years I have been immersed up-close and personal in the tech revolution with family and friends. Does this make me wise and relevant? No, but I am a learner in search of (as Elon says) the right questions, so I can pursue answers worth knowing, vital for life — a redundant expression, oops. I must add, I utterly depend on Starlink for high speed internet, living as we do by a river surrounded by mountains and a National Park. Thanks Elon, or was the receiver on my roof an accident, a happenstance? I have heard that before — the right time and place. That is my “fate”.
Sponsored

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Thanks Elon, or was the receiver on my roof an accident, a happenstance? I have heard that before — the right time and place. That is my “fate”.
He was lucky in the payouts and successes. He wasn't the only one trying. And he - like yourself - hasn't had health or other issues to take up his wealth and effort. That's good fortune we should all appreciate.

-Crissa

OP
OP
FarAway

FarAway

First Name
I.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pontiac Torrent, TVR, F-250 Super Duty
Country flag
He was lucky in the payouts and successes. He wasn't the only one trying. And he - like yourself - hasn't had health or other issues to take up his wealth and effort. That's good fortune we should all appreciate.

-Crissa
Yes,

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
- Largely, attributed to Thomas Jefferson.

Pretty sure Elon would identify with this quote.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag

-Crissa
For entrepreneurs there is so much risk and uncertainty that for Musk to survive and succeed looks like some weird mix of miracle, luck, courage, brilliance, teamwork, support, and a persistence altogether unforgettable, but NOT “mere” anything. SpaceX we all remember, those of us who watched, one rocket explosion away from bankruptcy. Similar stories for Tesla on more than one occasion. Luck, of course, because time and chance happen to us all. No escaping luck.

CyberTruckeeTheOne

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
4runner
Occupation
Retired Operating Plans & Forecasting Manager
Country flag
Yes,

"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
- Largely, attributed to Thomas Jefferson.

Pretty sure Elon would identify with this quote.
And helped by very pliant, err, spineless nepo board.

Whmorken

First Name
Hubert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Back to responses to the CT. So few are here so far, only one in my neighborhood of old and newer cabins and homes carved from an 1895 cattle and horse ranch. We, or may I say”I”, shall soon drive the second, another CB, and given the local love of classic cars and farm vehicles, the CTs should qualify as simply a new version of the 1917 Ford TT, the first of its trucks.

Wyoming natives were early adopters of cars well before 1920 and may embrace the CT if the state figures how to encourage public chargers. Does it work, rain or shine, hot and cold, dirt or pavement, in the winter, reliably, then why not give it a try if I can charge it. Forget the tourists. 1. Just do not force it on us; and 2. Make it affordable like the original Ford TT!!

I am hoping for summer delivery but when I light it up mid-winter on studded tires I expect curiosity more than contempt but we shall see. This is a place where pick-up trucks dominate, so, we shall soon verily know if the CT is more than a sheet of stainless steel for seasonal visitors. Down and dirty, if yes, then thumbs up and smiles, and more CT’s in western Wyoming. Regardless, EV trucks are coming.

Last edited:

CTnoir

Threads
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve gotten one Middle Finger wave.
Countless thumbs ups, smiles, friendly waves, surprise pointers etc. 99.9% positive
Then again I’m in California where people are used to seeing Teslas everywhere

Harley

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
15 Highlander, 10 GL450, 03 Vette, 69 Mustang
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
After six weeks of ownership near Seattle, only one bird and a few thumbs-down, and I reply to them all with a peace sign and a smile.

I was prepared for much more hate, but 99ish percent has been positive. And this thing ALWAYS draws a crowd. School-age kids absolutely light up when they see it; maybe that’s an indicator of what the future will hold. What has surprised me is the positive reaction from older people. About half ask “What is that?” but think it’s very cool. And one guy wondered if I built it myself.

Pretty sure it would be more negative in states east of here. I was in Indianapolis most of May and saw one CT outside a restaurant, and overheard one t-shirt-and-jorts-wearing guy call it a “pathetic piece of sh—.” Also spent a weekend last month in central Kansas and saw one EV the whole time.

Derektsla

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model X
Occupation
Entrepreneur
Country flag
I wave back and let them think I’m unstable…..nothing better than a Dumb and Dumber moment fired back at them.
This! I’m thinking of tatting up my window arm, wearing dark sunglasses and staring expressionless at anyone who flies the bird. I want them to be a little nervous that I’m unstable and they might have made a very bad decision. 😂

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck, Model Y
Country flag
I was just telling a friend last night that no, no one has done anything unsafe on the road due to me driving my CT. And then this morning this happens, some moron intentionally slows down to a near complete stop in the middle of my lane, forcing me to dodge around him.

Checking the dashcam footage later, none of the cameras was able to capture his license plate even at the slow speeds here. Not that it would help with anything, especially since there was no collision.

Tesla Cybertruck Why the ONE FINGER salute for the Cybertruck??   Top 10 reasons for the hate! moron

Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
I was just telling a friend last night that no, no one has done anything unsafe on the road due to me driving my CT. And then this morning this happens, some moron intentionally slows down to a near complete stop in the middle of my lane, forcing me to dodge around him.

Checking the dashcam footage later, none of the cameras was able to capture his license plate even at the slow speeds here. Not that it would help with anything, especially since there was no collision.
This has happened to me at least 10 times. It's pretty crazy. Even today a guy stopped in the middle of the road in a truck. But I have noticed a lot less of it in the last month or so. The first month I had the truck there was a ton of unsafe driving going on around me.

Sjohnson20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD, Model Y
Country flag
After six weeks of ownership near Seattle, only one bird and a few thumbs-down, and I reply to them all with a peace sign and a smile.

I was prepared for much more hate, but 99ish percent has been positive. And this thing ALWAYS draws a crowd. School-age kids absolutely light up when they see it; maybe that’s an indicator of what the future will hold. What has surprised me is the positive reaction from older people. About half ask “What is that?” but think it’s very cool. And one guy wondered if I built it myself.

Pretty sure it would be more negative in states east of here. I was in Indianapolis most of May and saw one CT outside a restaurant, and overheard one t-shirt-and-jorts-wearing guy call it a “pathetic piece of sh—.” Also spent a weekend last month in central Kansas and saw one EV the whole time.
Interestingly I went to a restaurant a couple weeks ago and parked the truck outside. Some people came in after and started talking about the Cybertruck and it was pretty much all bad. They were seated right next to me haha. One guy was doing the same, it's ugly and it's junk etc. There were a few women and a couple other guys and they were all agreeing. The one guy was saying, it's not that cool I've seen better! The other ones didn't seem to know it was gas or electric and that it was Tesla. It was pretty funny to be able to hear it undercover like that.

cyberhornet

First Name
cyberhornet
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 M3
Occupation
Software
Country flag
For people that flip the bird:

"Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize half of them are stupider than that."
George Carlin

Its4kito

First Name
Keit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Country flag
#11 - The haters are sheep following social media influencers that are paid to bash and post lies about Tesla/Elon, to stir them up.
Perhaps the media influencers are Chinese or other foreign car manufacturers, though I have no proof of this. Mostly young people are hating CT because it doesn’t have crush zones ? They then conclude that the CT is predatory and intentionally hurting victims who drive small cars.

big.garcilla

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S 2016.5 Cybertruck 2024
Country flag
I took a road trip to NH from NJ. More positive then negative but plenty of middle fingers. I even had a lady hang out of her window in a black 1990's escalade yelling at me on the highway. It is curious to see such strong reactions. There was no way i was going to be able to hear what she was saying with the windows up nevertheless she felt she needed to let me have it.

I do not believe people are reacting to Elon's late-night ketamine + weed induced rants on the world otherwise every Tesla would be getting the finger.

I do not think its a wealth thing (i'm not rich) and I don't see or hear of Porche or Ferrari, much more expensive cars, getting the finger.

Do Rivian, Ford Lightning and Hummer EV drivers get any reactions?

I know it makes my wife and kids uncomfortable, it would be nice if they get over it and stop.
Sponsored