What’s your Powershare installation quote?

ModelCYBR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Country flag
$2000 then when accepted they. Hanged to $4400 because the gateway is now not approved by the utility and they are in talks with Tesla about it.

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
All you people paying $3k for a few hour job is why we have continued inflation.
Stop agreeing to this robbery.
I bet none of you are billiing $1k/hr for your work
My quote is 4k and I am not paying a dime because its within my Cyberbeast credit. I would think it would be in Tesla best interest to not pay if these installers were overcharging. Just like insurance companies do with hospitals. I am guessing they didnt come up with the $4k amount randomly and it is what they expected it to cost on average.

If I got to keep the change I might protest the cost more! :)

Ironalley

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y performance
Occupation
Farmer
Country flag
I wonder with all the prices over 4k if we’re paying a Tesla surcharge royalty for their gateway?

GatorCyber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Model X
Occupation
Real Estate
Country flag
I had mine installed last month, the hardware was sent directly to the installer. The total cost was $3650 for the installation of both the gateway and the UWC, which seems very reasonable for the amount of work they did.

The PowerShare gateway is attached next to the mains on the rear of my house, and the UWC is in the garage from a new pull under the crawl space and run up over two of the garage bays, so it sits pretty much right next to my charge port when the truck in in the garage.

Excellent work, and I've already had a PowerShare real-world incident that went exactly as expected.

IMG_1012.jpeg

IMG_1014.jpeg

IMG_1013.jpeg
They at least had to run some conduit and wire. I got a 3.5k quote and it would take 6" of wire and everything would be mounted less than 12" apart. Maybe 2 hours tops.

Loudness

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck (AWD)
Country flag
They at least had to run some conduit and wire. I got a 3.5k quote and it would take 6" of wire and everything would be mounted less than 12" apart. Maybe 2 hours tops.
Oof, yeah. They had to drill through two brick walls and run a lot of conduit for mine, took a couple of guys 4-5 hours to complete.

jimnycricket65

Threads
Reaction score
Country flag
Instead of waiting for Tesla, I submitted a request on qmerit and I got the quote back today.

the total is ~$5300 including $450 permit, ~$3100 power share installation and ~$1700 uwc installation. The project is pretty standard and I don’t see they mention anything special in the quote. In comparison, my buddy got a Tesla installer for wall charger last year only cost a bit more than $1000.

I was hoping my CB’s $4000 credit should cover the total cost of pretty standard installation, but this quote is still a lot more than that. What is everyone else’s quote? Am I able to change an installer other than the one qmerit immediately assigned to me? I am in Austin.

IMG_6756.png
if the $4000 doesn't cover it, I dont' want it.

Vagis9780

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyber Truck
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
@GatorCyber is correct... nearly all the PowerShare quotes we're seeing are complete ripoffs.

There are two possible configurations you can have with the PowerShare Gateway. First is wiring the Gateway between the meter and the main panel - essentially a whole-house backup.

The second possible configuration is to install a sub-panel adjacent to the Gateway, and use that sub-panel to manage which loads are backed up.

The Universal Wall Connector is connected like any Wall Charger.... with wiring of appropriate gauge back to the main panel; and also a control wire from the UWC back to the Gateway.

Absent a very unusual or very difficult wiring scenario - which, if such was the case, should be billed at conventional electrician rates - none of this is difficult. Physically mounting the Gateway is probably a 10-minute operation. Physically mounting a sub-panel, if the second config is being used, would be similar. Wiring between the sub-panel and the main-panel would be a bit more work, but most installs I've seen quoted have that sub-panel very close to the main panel.

My quote was $4,473.75, in a situation where the PowerShare Gateway would be located six inches from the main panel, on an inside wall; and the UWC and meter, on the outside of that same wall, would likewise be within literal inches of each other. Spread your arms and you've encompassed the entire area of interest.

A good electrician might take two hours - most of that wiring up the sub-panel. A mediocre electrician might take three or four.

Unfortunately, things like electric panels and utility meters are very intimidating to many people, akin to black boxes, and so they just pay what is put in front of them, thinking that since this cool new feature originated with Tesla, a company most of us love, it all must be on the up and up.

It's not. It's theft.

Here's a third option (especially if you already have a charging solution in place): Decline the Qmerit quote; hire a competent, qualified electrician to install a conventional transfer switch; and during utility outages power your critical circuits via the Cybertruck's 240v outlet in the vault. Yes, you'll lose 2 kWh versus what you'd get from the PowerShare solution. And you'll have to re-activate that 240v circuit every 12 hours. But it's a heck of a lot cheaper than what Qmerit and company are trying to push.
The problem we have in New Orleans, there is only one Tesla approved installer. In February I received a quotation to install one PowerWall 3, the total was $18k (including PowerWall). Simple installation in garage 3’ from main panel. PowerWall costs $10k, makes installation cost of $8k! I am not looking forward to their quote to install PowerShare gateway. I hope it isn’t true Tesla is instructing installers to a “Fixed” pricing.

EMoeller

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsches (992 Turbo S, 993 Turbo, 993 Targa) Prius
Occupation
Geologist
Country flag
My Qmerit quote is $6417.20 (Permit $750, Gateway install $3088.96, Cleanup $1904.24, Wall connector $672). Exterior wall about 5 ft from main. I also have an existing propane backup generator with manual transfer switch that will be maintained. Seems high in comparison with others - but I am in California and everything is more expensive here.

Voucher - so I never received a voucher and just found out that vouchers are ONLY used for CT deliveries made after May 23rd. All earlier CT deliveries the PowerShare equipment is ordered and shipped by/to the installer.

OP
OP

Haoooc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cyberbeast
Country flag
My Qmerit quote is $6417.20 (Permit $750, Gateway install $3088.96, Cleanup $1904.24, Wall connector $672). Exterior wall about 5 ft from main. I also have an existing propane backup generator with manual transfer switch that will be maintained. Seems high in comparison with others - but I am in California and everything is more expensive here.

Voucher - so I never received a voucher and just found out that vouchers are ONLY used for CT deliveries made after May 23rd. All earlier CT deliveries the PowerShare equipment is ordered and shipped by/to the installer.
I took delivery on June 4th but haven’t received voucher either.

Pialot

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Litigation Management
Country flag
I really hope they get the voucher situation fixed before they roll out the Non - FS line. Waiting since May 26th for my voucher

Venusfly

First Name
Jochen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Raptor, H1, early order Cybertruck
Country flag
Just had mine installed last week in Michigan for $5,100. It took them 24 hours over 2 days, 3 crew on day 1, 2 on day 2, with probably 4 hours of commute between them, so some 28 billable hours. Labor was $3,600, so roughly $130/hour. + material $739 + surge arrestor $425 + permit $289 + tax $70.
Why did it take so long? Relocation of cable TV junction box to make space, 65 foot distance between the panel and the charger, 1 floor distance in heights, 80 foot of conduit attached to brick, 15 bends with many crouching under a deck, 2 exterior holes through brick walls, sealed after install, drywall work on the inside to connect the powershare panel to the fuse box wiring, repatching of drywall opening, system configuration on a weak WiFi signal that kept cutting out, dealing with all the Tesla required paperwork and picture uploads, and the wait time to get Tesla tech on the phone to activate the service.
So I feel like I got my moneys worth.

Jager

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Model 3 LR AWD, Several Motorcycles
Country flag
Just had mine installed last week in Michigan for $5,100. It took them 24 hours over 2 days, 3 crew on day 1, 2 on day 2, with probably 4 hours of commute between them, so some 28 billable hours. Labor was $3,600, so roughly $130/hour. + material $739 + surge arrestor $425 + permit $289 + tax $70.
Why did it take so long? Relocation of cable TV junction box to make space, 65 foot distance between the panel and the charger, 1 floor distance in heights, 80 foot of conduit attached to brick, 15 bends with many crouching under a deck, 2 exterior holes through brick walls, sealed after install, drywall work on the inside to connect the powershare panel to the fuse box wiring, repatching of drywall opening, system configuration on a weak WiFi signal that kept cutting out, dealing with all the Tesla required paperwork and picture uploads, and the wait time to get Tesla tech on the phone to activate the service.
So I feel like I got my moneys worth.
You definitely got your money's worth! Most of us would be happy to pay five grand for that amount of work!

Alas, seems the majority of quotes are in that same neighborhood, cost-wise, for about 1/10th the work.
Sponsored