Universal Wall Connector & Home backup - w/o 3V Gateway ??

CybrTrkNj

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, for a little longer..
Occupation
Retired Network Engineer
Country flag
Afternoon,
If I install a gen3 UWC without the 3V Backup Gateway, can I still use the UWC and my CT to backup my house during a power grid failure?
I realize of course that I would need to shut my main breaker at my panel to isolate the house from the grid..
Is this possible? Has any one tried this or had to do this if they lost power?

Currently using the mobile charger and a NEMA 14-50 outlet that I installed to charge my CT.
If the UWC can supply power to my house in a power outage scenario, besides charging my CT, I could remove the 14-50 outlet, as I would have no use for it..
BUT, if the UWC can’t supply power TO the house, then I guess I would have to make a suicide cable and use the outlet on the house and the 240V outlet on the CT to supply power TO the house. I would rather avoid doing that and use the UWC connection.

Thoughts please! Thx
Sponsored

Obie_fl

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S, 2024 Model Y, Cybertruck FS AWD
Country flag
I'm fairly certain you can't use the UWC to backup the house with the current firmware. It is possible that will change with an update in the future as the UWC and mobile charger have bi-directional built-in but not yet supported. In the mean time you could do as you said and use the power outlets in the bed and extension cords for backup.

The UWC may always require the gateway (or PW) as I don't see Tesla allowing you to feed your house with what is basically as you call it a suicide cable. Not sure they would take on the liability. I'm assuming with the mobile charger they will require pigtail outlets which would be similar to the bed outlets.

KenErickson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tedla Model 3
Country flag
I wouldn’t. The UWC will also have a low voltage cable that runs to the PowerShare box. They communicate between each other so the PowerShare, UWC and CT know the PowerShare has turned off the main feed to your house & the CT can then begin supplying power to your house. (Up to 48 amps at 240vac)

Best you can do is plug into the outlets of the CT and (safely) run extension cords to your important items in the house - or have a Tesla certified electrician install the PowerShare and use them as they were intended.

I was able to power my entire house as long as I do not try charging another EV while powered from my CT (electrician added that note on my receipt)

Last edited:

Obie_fl

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Model S, 2024 Model Y, Cybertruck FS AWD
Country flag
I wouldn’t. The UWC will also have a low voltage cable that runs to the PowerShare box. They communicate between each other so the PowerShare, UWC and CT know the PowerShare has turned off the main feed to your house & the CT can then begin supplying power to your house. (Up to 48 amps at 240vac)

Best you can do is plug into the outlets of the CT and (safely) run extension cords to your important items in the house - or have a Tesla certified electrician install the PowerShare and use them as they were intended.

I was able to power my entire house as long as I do not try charging another EV while powered from my CT (electrician added that note on my receipt)
The low voltage cable isn't required. I asked when they were installing mine but I forget the rationale or circumstance where it is required. All I know is my setup works and I don't have the low voltage comm wire. To be clear I have the V3 Gateway and the UWC without comm line and I've verified Powershare works.

IMHO if home backup is important to you get the gateway.
Sponsored