Tonneau cover and tailgate physical controls not working.

OP
OP
UTECHPIA

UTECHPIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberBeast, 2023 MYP, 2007 S2000, 1998 NSX
Country flag
You can try to use hair dryer low heat setting to blow the switch area. It wasa trick old days for iPhone got wet.
thanks, but I don’t want to mess with it.

I am going to leave it alone, tesla is going to look into it in a few weeks. :)
Sponsored

ituner-HF

First Name
Andrei
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, Cybertruck VIN 32xx
Country flag
I really suspect it is the sealing failure ( or not proper installed) around the switch. There is no way such high percentage switch electronic component failure by itself.

So it is indeed hit and miss but it should be easy to fix.
Yes. The only way a switch could fail (aside water intrusion) is extreme heat from the Sun, but in this particular case all data points towards water intrusion.

Dep

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
thanks, but I don’t want to mess with it.

I am going to leave it alone, tesla is going to look into it in a few weeks. :)
Ok I fixed mine yesterday. I entered service mode (hold down on Cybertruck logo for a few seconds, enter “service” in password prompt.)

There’s a section in there where you can look at the health of the tonneau and motors. There’s an option to “calibrate” from there. Followed the instructions (right turn signal, press down on right button) and the tonneau fully retracted, and then closed back up and now I have no misalignment either.

I’m still going to take it in because I think my track and button section is the culprit, but it’s nice to know how to reset and be able to use the tonneau when necessary!!!

Jhodgesatmb

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.arbor-studios.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y LR, Tesla Model 3 LR
Occupation
Retired AI researcher
Country flag
wow! Thanks for the fast response and the insight! Much appreciated! It is a shame that it affects several others, hopefully TESLA can PERMANENTLY fix it as a recall so that we don’t have to pay extra for the solution! 🙏
Maybe it targets YouTubers :)

ideaXfactory

First Name
IdeaX
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Many trucks, and a Porsche
Occupation
Stainless, metals, art, polymath
Do you use a high pressure sprayer, or was it just rain for the main source of the wetness?

eousphoros

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, CyberTruck
Country flag
My physical tail gate button failed while we were doing the walk around when i dropped the truck off to get wrapped.

OP
OP
UTECHPIA

UTECHPIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My physical tail gate button failed while we were doing the walk around when i dropped the truck off to get wrapped.
setup a service appointment with Tesla, they are aware of the issue and will get parts ready before you even come in!

Just make a video showing the issue and attached it to the service ticket, that's the best way to illustrate the issue to them.

FYI: I sent them the first part of my video here:

eousphoros

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, CyberTruck
Country flag
setup a service appointment with Tesla, they are aware of the issue and will get parts ready before you even come in!

Just make a video showing the issue and attached it to the service ticket, that's the best way to illustrate the issue to them.

FYI: I sent them the first part of my video here:
lol it’s already in the service center, like I said it happened IN there when the tech tried to open the trunk.

OP
OP
UTECHPIA

UTECHPIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
lol it’s already in the service center, like I said it happened IN there when the tech tried to open the trunk.
Ohhhhh, sorry, for some reason I thought you were doing a "walk around at a wrap shop".

Hahaha, my mind has been thinking about wraps the last few days, hehehehe!

Dep

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Took it in for service today. Got some info on the tonneau button—sounds like there is a recall incoming due to water dumping into the controls. Via service employee who speaks directly with engineering. Thought I’d update since it’s widespread!!!

FutureTruck

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX P, Lucid Air GT
The buttons on my son's truck work intermittently, no issue with the app. I told him not to leave it out in the rain.
Sponsored