Tonneau cover and tailgate physical controls not working.

UTECHPIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CyberBeast, 2023 MYP, 2007 S2000, 1998 NSX
Country flag
I found my tonneau opened by itself overnight. And then my frunk decided to open randomly while I was standing next to my truck.

I knew something might be up… now my physical controls don’t work anymore!

I created a tesla service ticket, let’s see what happens…

I tried to “recalibrate” with no success, but I could be doing it wrong:
https://service.tesla.com/docs/Publ...UID-C9EE6F13-1957-4D00-80B6-930D3DD68DC6.html

anyone have any idea how to fix this? Have you ran into this issue? @denniscw didnt we run into this issue when we first picked up your truck too? Like on day 2 or day 3?

Sponsored

agordon117

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck foundation awd
Country flag
You're the 4th or 5th person to report this (one guy a few weeks ago thought his wife was playing a prank on him). Best guess is water is getting under the rubber and causing issues. Guessing it's gonna need a redesign.

OP
OP
UTECHPIA

UTECHPIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You're the 4th or 5th person to report this (one guy a few weeks ago thought his wife was playing a prank on him). Best guess is water is getting under the rubber and causing issues. Guessing it's gonna need a redesign.
wow! Thanks for the fast response and the insight! Much appreciated! It is a shame that it affects several others, hopefully TESLA can PERMANENTLY fix it as a recall so that we don’t have to pay extra for the solution! 🙏

Spacenoddle

First Name
Nan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Saw this a few times already. Must be some water intrusion. During that famous "wake mode" video, that truck button wasn't working as well.

Dep

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Same thing happening to me right now. Got mine Monday and it’s such a bummer. They want it for at least a day… It sat in Texas for three weeks in “testing”. Really upset I waited 1571 days for a broken truck. I love everything about it (minus this) and don’t want to bring it back. I feel like Tesla should send techs out to foundation series buyers for issues like this.

Spacenoddle

First Name
Nan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Same thing happening to me right now. Got mine Monday and it’s such a bummer. They want it for at least a day… It sat in Texas for three weeks in “testing”. Really upset I waited 1571 days for a broken truck. I love everything about it (minus this) and don’t want to bring it back. I feel like Tesla should send techs out to foundation series buyers for issues like this.
Was there any heavy rain recently?

Spacenoddle

First Name
Nan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
The day I picked it up it was raining, Sacramento area.
I really suspect it is the sealing failure ( or not proper installed) around the switch. There is no way such high percentage switch electronic component failure by itself.

So it is indeed hit and miss but it should be easy to fix.

Dep

First Name
Nicolas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y
Country flag
I really suspect it is the sealing failure ( or not proper installed) around the switch. There is no way such high percentage switch electronic component failure by itself.

So it is indeed hit and miss but it should be easy to fix.
I noticed my the area around where the physical controls are was protruding when I got home from Tesla. The controls are not flush in the area. Prior to failure the tonneau was misaligned and closing with a gap on the button side as well.

OP
OP
UTECHPIA

UTECHPIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It was raining the night before for me too. when I started noticing the issue, the issue got worse after I washed the truck.

so 100% a water penetration issue.

I was schedule to come in 2 weeks and they will have the replacement parts for me. (I hope they have a fix, not just a replacement part).

Spacenoddle

First Name
Nan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I noticed my the area around where the physical controls are was protruding when I got home from Tesla. The controls are not flush in the area. Prior to failure the tonneau was misaligned and closing with a gap on the button side as well.
Yeah, improper fitting caused the moisture intrusion.

Spacenoddle

First Name
Nan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
It was raining the night before for me too. when I started noticing the issue, the issue got worse after I washed the truck.

so 100% a water penetration issue.

I was schedule to come in 2 weeks and they will have the replacement parts for me. (I hope they have a fix, not just a replacement part).
I don't recall any vehicle has the switch/control on the exposed flat surface. The standing water really will be much easier to penetrate if the sealing not installed properly or just aged a few years down the road. Just like flat roof is more headache than sloping roof.

OP
OP
UTECHPIA

UTECHPIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't recall any vehicle has the switch/control on the exposed flat surface. The standing water really will be much easier to penetrate if the sealing not installed properly or just aged a few years down the road. Just like flat roof is more headache than sloping roof.
Maybe I used the wrong terminology. I meant to say, it's certainly something related with "water".

UPDATE: Today it "kinda works better" it's still not fully working, but at least it is more responsive than when i showed in the original video of this thread.

Spacenoddle

First Name
Nan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
Maybe I used the wrong terminology. I meant to say, it's certainly something related with "water".

UPDATE: Today it "kinda works better" it's still not fully working, but at least it is more responsive than when i showed in the original video of this thread.
You can try to use hair dryer low heat setting to blow the switch area. It wasa trick old days for iPhone got wet.
Sponsored