Tony2times

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT AWD
Country flag
No. Really, you don't want to put an extra strong adhesive tape there. Gorilla tape (Maybe the strongest and most sticky duct tape) is intended for permanent applications. It will leave a difficult to remove residue of adhesive and reinforcement threads.

Use this instead; it will hold very tightly, yet it will peel off easily when pulled at an acute angle and will leave little or no residue:

Gaffer's tape
https://a.co/d/0dp9foVG
True, but at least at speed the Gorilla will stay in place. Either way, I hope the part arrives soon. This truck is amazing but there will be small issues that will need to be addressed (I’m sure this isn’t the last of it). At least Tesla will make it right.
Sponsored

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
How bad do you all think this looks. The amount of people asking me questions about my truck and quality was high before this happened and my response can’t be “it’s been perfect” anymore. Also how bad does it look in general, I had a home service tomorrow to fix it but they pushed it out three weeks because the part isn’t in yet!?! Do I just leave my truck sitting that long? I’ve been driving the MY again, and man this car feels tiny now still really fun to drive but I miss my truck! Should I cover it somehow and with what? 😣
IMG_5822.jpeg
Core_Flute! ( Black from Bunnings )
Hope it doesn't whistle at speed!

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag

REM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Telsa Model 3 Standard Range+ Extra Supermega
Occupation
IT
Country flag
But no, for real. Take the other one off and if anyone asks, tell them you are beta testing for Tesla.

It's technically the truth lol

Last edited:

WHIZZARD OF OZ

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Up!
Occupation
Electric Wheelchair Builder
Country flag
T
How bad do you all think this looks. The amount of people asking me questions about my truck and quality was high before this happened and my response can’t be “it’s been perfect” anymore. Also how bad does it look in general, I had a home service tomorrow to fix it but they pushed it out three weeks because the part isn’t in yet!?! Do I just leave my truck sitting that long? I’ve been driving the MY again, and man this car feels tiny now still really fun to drive but I miss my truck! Should I cover it somehow and with what? 😣
IMG_5822.jpeg
Sail applique ( Ffff_fancy ) should have a redundancy feature built in like a press/click tab in the event the adhesive pads fail in extreme weather or like demonstrated here. ( smallish strips? )
I can feel a 'Fearless Frog' moment about to hop into action...
RIVET....RIVET

wtibbit

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mercedes sedan, Corvette coupe, Yukon XL
Occupation
Retired Engineering Program Director
Country flag
IMG_5822.jpeg
After reading through this thread I decided to check my sail appliqué assemblies (yep, that's Tesla's nomenclature for this part.) Sure enough, the one on the passenger side was loose at the end near the cab, on the inside where it is supposed to be attached with 3M tape. The tape there had apparently lost its "sticky". I didn't find any other loose spots.

I happen to have a roll of what appears to be a different type of 3M tape that I successfully used to fix loose door trim on my now-sold Yukon XL. That tape did a terrific job on that problem, so I used it tonight on the Cybertruck.

The appliqué is flexible so I was able to lift it up enough to put down a two inch strip of my 3M tape next to the original, failed tape and peel off the new tape's protective film. I pressed down on the appliqué to get good adhesion. I tugged on it a bit to make sure all the surfaces of the tape were adhered and then pressed down on the appliqué again.

I'll let it set up overnight before driving the truck. I'll check it regularly. If it comes loose again or other loose spots appear, or something "sails" away, I'll report back and edit this post.

Maybe it will keep that Sail Appliqué from sailing away before Tesla does an official fix per the recall.

Lowcoe

First Name
Erich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
S3xY
Occupation
Gardner
Country flag
I'm hoping someone makes a stainless replacement version of this piece. If it were me it would be attached to the bolts that attach the roof racks.

BeFamousVideo

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telsa M3 Long Range. CT Beast expected 3/2024
Occupation
AI Automation Agency owner
Country flag
IMG_5822.jpeg
Consider asking a Tesla service rep if water from rain or whatever can cause additional damage to components in there and if so what should cover it in the meantime? Being that yours is missing you should get priority over others.

BeFamousVideo

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telsa M3 Long Range. CT Beast expected 3/2024
Occupation
AI Automation Agency owner
Country flag
After reading through this thread I decided to check my sail appliqué assemblies (yep, that's Tesla's nomenclature for this part.) Sure enough, the one on the passenger side was loose at the end near the cab, on the inside where it is supposed to be attached with 3M tape. The tape there had apparently lost its "sticky". I didn't find any other loose spots.

I happen to have a roll of what appears to be a different type of 3M tape that I successfully used to fix loose door trim on my now-sold Yukon XL. That tape did a terrific job on that problem, so I used it tonight on the Cybertruck.

The appliqué is flexible so I was able to lift it up enough to put down a two inch strip of my 3M tape next to the original, failed tape and peel off the new tape's protective film. I pressed down on the appliqué to get good adhesion. I tugged on it a bit to make sure all the surfaces of the tape were adhered and then pressed down on the appliqué again.

I'll let it set up overnight before driving the truck. I'll check it regularly. If it comes loose again or other loose spots appear, or something "sails" away, I'll report back and edit this post.

Maybe it will keep that Sail Appliqué from sailing away before Tesla does an official fix per the recall.
That was smart. We should all check our trucks for loose sail applique.

Kahpernicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Country flag
T
Sail applique ( Ffff_fancy ) should have a redundancy feature built in like a press/click tab in the event the adhesive pads fail in extreme weather or like demonstrated here. ( smallish strips? )
I can feel a 'Fearless Frog' moment about to hop into action...
RIVET....RIVET
I think the foam tape IS the redundancy holding. The clips they use are tiny.

Just terrible design by tesla on these parts that face alot of airflow.

2p2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
M3p
Country flag
Just terrible design by tesla on these parts
Yeah. The wheel covers cutting the tires, wiper issues, panels flying off, overhead gear selector falling off, accelerator pedal recall, gaps. I guess that's just the way she goes....

OP
OP
Known-Background

Known-Background

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ModelY, Cybertruck AWD
Country flag
Awesome advise! Ordering now! Wish I could grab from local store.
@wtibbit great suggestion!! Anyone that needs to cover the gap of the sail do the gaffers tape!! You can barely tell it’s gone!! Matches perfect!! Thanks @wtibbit
IMG_6013.jpeg

DevilDogDMD

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT, 75DS, 3P
Country flag
Lost mine today. Sucks it was the driver's side with the switches. This was after I had my tonneau cover fixed because it was tinted. So I wonder if they had to pull them off and then just didn't replace the tape to get them back on right.

PXL_20240703_211523891.jpg