Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I've never seen sheets of full-hard 304 SS offered on Amazon and there is no way to harden annealed 304 SS to a full-hard temper without multi-ton rollers. If you could provide a link to cold-rolled 304 SS in 3mm thickness, I would be amazed.

The assumption most people have is the Cybertruck alloy will be 304 but, as far as I know, Tesla has never said that. I believe they actually said it's a custom variation on traditional compositions to suit their exact needs. If it's a custom alloy, it would likely be unavailable from any supplier and test results from similar alloys would not necessarily be valid.

What I think is under-appreciated is how much the properties of various alloys of stainless steel can vary, and how dramatically most of them change simply by hardening them with a repetitive cold-rolling process.
Mike,

I didnā€™t mean that the CT was 304 SS or that you could find fully hardened 304 on amazon. But rather, if you get a sheet of 3mm 304, and maybe a 5mm sheet, you will see a worse case scenario of how it will look. You will get an idea of the reaction, not a duplication, just an idea. If you can take a 3mm and bounce a .22 20 gr pellet off the skin, then the CT will do at least that and more.

That being said, there are companies out there that have cold rolled 300 series SS available. Might be able to talk them out of a 12ā€x12ā€ piece for not too many dollars as a sample. And yes, certainly, the CT is not a 304 SS truck, it is their own 300 series SS (30X) which has (as I understand it) improved corrosion over other 300 series metals.

Dang, now Iā€™m going to actually look for a small piece of hardened 300 series SS today. And I was going to do laundryā€¦.
Sponsored

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, Cyberbeast 113344xxx
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
I'm addressing this separately.

I have no intention to garage shame. I do find it "silly" that so many people are living in seemingly constant fear of vandalism, bird poop, scratches, hail and who knows what else. I really don't relate to that fear.

And you ask what is gained? It's more like what is lost! Apparently so many people are living in fear that the CT had to be resized down to fit in what some people seem to think is a safe garage. And what was lost with that resizing? At a minimum, we lost bed size, and the 6th seat. Since we don't have the final specs yet, we don't know what else was lost during the resize. But if Tesla is trying to be tougher than the Ford Tough ICE vehicles, it seems silly that they are playing to the people living in fear of a little truck damage.
Well, ALSO, to those of us who don't want to park expensive vehicles outside all the time. Not from frear but because of comfort and damage to interior components from being baked in the sun. Well, I park outside at work. BUT, I like getting into my truck without having to walk through snow or rain or heat. Plus, when I park in my garage, I don't track water or snow into my house.

Besides, having vehicles parked outside when you store utter crap in a garage is just plain tacky.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
This is why body amour dissipates the impact energy over a larger area, that in turn stops it from penetrating. That is also why I suggested using an inflatable cover.
That being said, there are companies out there that have cold rolled 300 series SS available. Might be able to talk them out of a 12ā€x12ā€ piece for not too many dollars as a sample. And yes, certainly, the CT is not a 304 SS truck, it is their own 300 series SS (30X) which has (as I understand it) improved corrosion over other 300 series metals.

Dang, now Iā€™m going to actually look for a small piece of hardened 300 series SS today. And I was going to do laundryā€¦.
if you want a preview

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="" title="Cybertruck-ish 1/8&quot; 304 stainless vs 9mm and a few more" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

and a related comparison:

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="" title="Can A Bulletproof Tesla Really Stop A Bullet?" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Most hail will bounce right off without leaving a mark but, obviously, there are hailstorms that it cannot withstand without damage. I think it's safe to say the same thing about the armor glass. Given how fragile current trucks are, I think it's commendable that Tesla has finally made a truck worthy of being called "tough".
Exactly.

Hail is... well, because of how storms are, hail can be going faster than normal terminal velocity - propelled by downdrafts, also a group of things falling can create its own downdraft. It can be more or less dense ice - with or without air gaps in it as well, and it can be really large or populous.

Sill, it'll be neat seeing these trucks stand strong.

-Crissa

My goodness Crissa, I am so sorry to hear this.
I feel I have to mention it, because people don't talk about how many of us are touched by gun violence. Guns are serious business, not like on TV at all. I felt it helped PilotPete's point, too.

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Yeah. My father was killed by a bullet fired into the tail of our station wagon. (A police officer wrongly shot at him after failing to flag down the car in a busy supermarket parking lot.)

The better reason to hide behind it is that removes line of sight and ability to aim at a target. Anything to remove line of sight is better than nothing.

-Crissa
Crissa,

Regardless of our recent discussions, I do want to express my condolences and I appreciate how horrid that must be. Iā€™m truly sorry to hear that. I do believe that we could do so much more in LEO training.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
These are the largest hailstones I've ever contended with, almost 15 years ago:

IMG_0196.JPG

They did this to my stainless...!

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0199.JPG

No glass broke, and the fiberglass louvers were undamaged.

Fortunately, all of my worthless junk was safely tucked away in the garage. :confused:
Otherwise know as the "Arm & Hammer" body modifications. OUCH.

HaulingAss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2010 F-150, 2018 Model 3 P, FS DM Cybertruck
Country flag
Who is going to be the first Cybertruck owner to not give a damn and shoot it up all over with rounds that leave impressions, but do not penetrate, in order to make it look like it has survived a gun battle? I can't imagine the answer will be "no one". For good effect, some higher energy rounds should shot at a 45-degree angle for more variety in the impact craters.

I don't want to draw any additional attention to my Cybertruck, so I'll avoid intentional damage. I have a .22 caliber PCP air rifle that will penetrate regular steel doors. I might shoot it with that, testing it in inconspicuous spots first, and being aware of ricochet angles.
Well, what do you know. I posted this yesterday at 6:17 am. Elon must have woke up, read it, and decided it sounded like fun!

Tesla Cybertruck Cybertruck size vs. Model Y and S (spotted at supercharger together) 1697847806816

And who would blame him for blowing off a little steam after all the criticism he took for his conference call the previous day? šŸ˜‰

Last edited:

FutureBoy

First Name
Reginald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Financial Advisor
Country flag
For those who are still thinking about the hail issue... Tesla has been testing this exact scenario.

Sponsored