Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
The CT target back in 2017/2018 when the Cybertruck concept was born was to compete against the #1 selling full size pickup at the time. It was the aluminum bodied ICE Ford F150 crew cab.

I am curious to hear more about the shatterproof window glass. I knew Tesla was going to do something different with the side window glass because they spent a lot of time performing demos during the reveal. I knew the production truck would have something different than all of it‘s competitors.

The Tesla glass team had 4-years to perfect the glass so I can’t wait to hear more next Thursday.

Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed: 11,000 lbs tow rating / 2,500 lbs payload capacity (official specs)! + Shatter-resistant glass D08280F4-6077-46CD-B78C-AAE6B3A4A5C5
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Z4, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2008 R1200RT
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
Yeah, it’s a pickup that can’t do most of normal pickup things. They lost the bulk of the work crowd when someone can’t move their toolbox or anything over without buying a new one. Can’t do a gooseneck or 5th wheel with that bed rail set up. Parts seem fragile and thin. I’ve never been trusting of unibody type trucks and it will be interesting to see if this holds up under heavy use like a full frame truck does. Air suspension is more gimmick to me, it doesn’t hold up well on the Ram 2500 and the other OEM’s didn’t adopt it for reasons. Leaf spring is still effective.

It’s a response to the disproven narrative (see the 40% of F-150 sales that go Fleet as example, or owner surveys saying 25%+ tow) that most truck people just own trucks to feel good about driving. I guess I’m keeping my F-350 right next to my F-150 lightning for a good while.
While I know folks can do a fifth wheel or gooseneck with an F-150, whats the real number of people who do that? Thats the thing, every 1% use case thinks that the truck has to do their 1% thing or its useless. "If it cant Moab, its useless!!!!", "If it cant gumbo mud, its a piece of trash!!!"

Deleted member 20282

The initial target back in 2017/2018 when the CT concept was born was to compete against the #1 selling full size pickup at the time. It was the aluminum bodied ICE Ford F150 crew cab.
That is true, of which it fell short as the ICE version can tow 14k lbs and 3,300 lbs of payload depending on optioning. But, here’s hoping iterations get better!

Deleted member 20282

While I know folks can do a fifth wheel or gooseneck with an F-150, whats the real number of people who do that? Thats the thing, every 1% use case thinks that the truck has to do their 1% thing or its useless. "If it cant Moab, its useless!!!!", "If it cant gumbo mud, its a piece of trash!!!"
I’d say given the skyrocketing RV sales industry and that there is an entire market segment of 1/2 ton towing 5th wheels that it’s not a 1% case. It’s actually a popular growing segment per the RVIA as a 8k lb bumper pull is a lot to manage but a 8k lb 5th wheel is dead stable thanks to where the weight is put and near complete elimination of sway. Ability to get into tight parks. And cost.

But the point was by changing the form factor, they eliminated a lot of direct cross over. They reduced addressable market by trying to change the truck. If I am evaluating replacement trucks and I own a camper or a 5th wheel or a horse trailer, they immediately disqualified themselves from the list. If I am a contractor and I had a substantive investment in toolboxes and stuff, I can’t just lift it out of my F-150 and put it in a Cybertruck. I suspect that was a tactical mistake on the part of Tesla. Unless all they wanted to really build was a truck for people who want to own a truck but don’t use a truck as a truck often. Which is actually a great use case, but don’t expect a lot of market overlap with the other EV trucks.

Deleted member 20282

I think the towing limitations are due to the CT not having a traditional steel ladder frame.
Perhaps. I think it’s more to do with the overall wheelbase, weight and air suspension. SAE spec tests for control of the trailer. Soggy suspension will reduce the test result, as will a short wheelbase. If they bumped up the GVWR they would push into 3/4 ton, someplace where they have zero chance to compete. It was important to stay 1/2 ton. I think that’s why they reduced size too from the original design.

Red61224

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yugo
Country flag
You are the one that said this is all they will produce for the “foreseeable future”, and with total conviction I might add. If you had said then what you just said it would have made complete sense. Dual now, Tri later. It doesn’t matter that Elon has created something new with three motors; to most people here the tri-motor trim will be a thing with the specs Elon announced at the unveiling (or better). I think that most of us tri-motor reservation holders can wait a while for Tesla to make it, albeit grumbling until it does.
Definitely waiting just a little bit longer.

C T Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2015 Nissan NV 3500, 2013 Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Country flag
So basically another gutless drugstore cowboy truck. My hopes for greatness are fading fast. This may thin the reservation que for people that had intended on using it in an actual work environment.
That boat sailed when they built a 6' bed. real work trucks need bed volume, not 4 doors. We carry material and equipment, not people.

Rick

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Country flag
How do you shatter a window that is shatter proof?
BTW, it says "shatter-resistant glass" not proof.

To my original point tho, that text I quoted (repeated below) explicitly said the front side windows were laminated but the rear side windows were not.

That is true for some version of the current Tesla cars depending on where (country) the car was built from my reading. Today they may all be laminated.

"Note that the rear side windows may still be made of tempered glass, even if the front ones are laminated. That’s crucial info, because you might still be able to escape your car in seconds if you can just shatter those windows."​
Tesla Cybertruck Confirmed: 11,000 lbs tow rating / 2,500 lbs payload capacity (official specs)! + Shatter-resistant glass NeaeSKJ

Last edited:

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
I have one of those hammers in my car to use in case my car goes in the water and I need to escape.

How does that work with shatter proof windows?
Best advice I can give anyone is “watch this”. It has been well documented that there have been a number of lives saved when people who watched this episode subsequently drove their car/truck into the water…

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
yeah, me too (I needed 13k)...I'll still get a Tri/performance/beast but will have to keep my 2500HD and home a CT 2.0/HD comes out!

Last edited:

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
It does not have to be put into escrow or a trust. That’s not how this works at all.

Tesla can immediately use the cash for whatever they want to.

From an accounting perspective they have an increase in cash offset by a liability for the pre-order.

This is how kickstarter works…
well, some around here are convinced Tesla takes this one of the various options available to it from an accounting perspective

I guess at some point, I swim with not against the current

I don’t know if they book this as revenue up front (and hold in escrow account collecting interest), or instead land it directly in available cash balance offset with deferred revenue.

If they’re not taking this as revenue up front, and instead as deferred revenue, they can use “the cash,” but must always be able to deliver the truck or the payment.

Either way, the net effect on operational cash flows is zero, until the prepayments have moved onto the income statement's revenue item when products are delivered. Cash balances rise, but so too do Tesla's liabilities.
Sponsored