Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
So I let my better half drive the CT for the first time. I explicitly told her to "not crash my baby". Less than 1 hour later I get a call that she crashed into another car. I love my wife to death and we all make mistakes so I am not mad. I feel horrible for the other person. We left a note and the other partly already reached out and we are working to make them whole again. Unfortunately they couldn't even open the door after this.

I am only posting this to show what to expect with a low speed accident for a "normal car" vs the CT.

UPDATE: Total cost to fix the CT at a Tesla owned repair shop was:
Parts (new plastic bumper and clips): $510
Labor (5.86 hours): $468.80
Discount on parts: -$255
Total: $744.84

Tesla Cybertruck Accident damage -- plastic bumper replacement / repair cost WhatsApp Image 2024-05-10 at 16.14.31_5a781dec
Tesla Cybertruck Accident damage -- plastic bumper replacement / repair cost WhatsApp Image 2024-05-10 at 16.14.31_ff2052cd
Tesla Cybertruck Accident damage -- plastic bumper replacement / repair cost 20240511_185243
Tesla Cybertruck Accident damage -- plastic bumper replacement / repair cost 20240511_185248
Sponsored

Last edited:

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future Cybertruck Owner!
Country flag
Sorry to see this and good on you guys for leaving a note. A couple of times now in my parking garage at work Iā€™ve been so focused on lining up the lines (in the side view mirrors) that Iā€™m not very focused on the rear of the car. No taps yet, but definitely some near misses. Kind of wish it had an auto-brake for times like yours (and almost mine). Thatā€™s one place where I feel like my other vehicles, especially my Volvos, have helped from time to time.

If it does indeed have this feature I guess Iā€™ve never gotten truly close enough for it to kick in.

Mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Country flag
Ouch!!!

I still follow a simple but effective parking rule that my Dad taught me many years ago.

Do not place your vehicle in reverse unless no other alternative exists.

Locate a pull through parking stall on arrival to avoid backing.

If no pull through parking stalls are available due to the parking lot layout back into a stall on arrival.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Pops

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
Kind of wish it had an auto-brake for times like yours (and almost mine)....
If it does indeed have this feature I guess Iā€™ve never gotten truly close enough for it to kick in.
You make a great point I had not considered. There is an option called "obstacle aware acceleration" and it was/is turned on. It never triggered.

Stuck4ger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ / Model Y
Occupation
Test Pilot
Country flag
You make a great point I had not considered. There is an option called "obstacle aware acceleration" and it was/is turned on. It never triggered.
Itā€™s not for that scenario: itā€™s to reduce the impact (not prevent) of an undesired forward acceleration.

Crissa

First Name
Crissa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Zero S, 2013 Mazda 3
Country flag
Man, I did that to some guy's truck a couple years ago. He parked behind me in a weird shaped lot and when I backed out, I just clipped the back corner of his truck. It had like, nothing there and crumpled like aluminum foil. Not even a scratch on my paint.

Luckily it was just a mountain truck and the guy just shrugged and let me go.

Hopefully they find the note! I had someone take out my door like that also a couple years ago... But their insurance covered it.

-Crissa

M0unt41nm4n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Ford F350 Plat, 22 F150 Plat, 20 Jeep Gladiator
Country flag
It would be great if there were sensors and a beeping noise when getting close to a collision. I need to re-train my brain without that functionality that is pretty standard on most trucks, which makes parking a breeze.
Yep, my Fords have that. They even slam on the brakes by themselves if you get close enough.

Mattkalin

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F350 Superduty , 2023 Model Y AWD
Country flag
Has anyone used any aftermarket parking sensors we could use until we get something from Tesla?

C T Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2015 Nissan NV 3500, 2013 Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Country flag
Are the bumper covers rubber that can be replaced? Is there any overlay that can be put over the corners?

Doesn't take much for a heavy vehicle to inflict damage to a light vehicle.

Even the stainless had some paint transfer without any noticeable damage..

Rick

CT425

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD Foundation
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
After you fix your CT, can you let us know how much it cost for repairs to your CT?

GuyV

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, FS Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Retired
Country flag
Ouch!!!

I still follow a simple but effective parking rule that my Dad taught me many years ago.

Do not place your vehicle in reverse unless no other alternative exists.

Locate a pull through parking stall on arrival to avoid backing.

If no pull through parking stalls are available due to the parking lot layout back into a stall on arrival.
My dad was an operating engineer who drove heavy equipment for a living. He taught me to back up at an early age. My mom always said we both drove better backwards than forwards. šŸ˜
Sponsored