ModelC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 MX, 2023 M3 SR X 2, 2021 M3 LR
Country flag
I would pivot to a Rivian before a Ford. But I doubt I will pivot. I am in the camp of wanting something different from what is currently out there. Do I need a truck? Once in a very rare while, per year. I love my S and X, but at the end of the day, I just want different looks than what has been around forever.

The cool thing is that everyone sees beauty, need, usage, etc., differently, which is fantastic. Those to profess major backlash because it won't do A, B, or C need to stop looking at a scenario based on their feelings alone.

If this truck can haul all this, I am sure people will figure out how to use the CyberTruck to fit their needs
Tesla Cybertruck 2024 Cybertruck Official Specs Leaked?! 😱 - Udated With Compare/Analysis Screenshot 2023-11-08 at 8.24.56 AM

TacoTuesday

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY
Country flag
it’s 11klb both / notice they break out stars of distinction between the two variants

notice also that nothing about the performance model results in any reason to have a different towing rating (covered well in other threads here)

the copy you quote is from 2019 - in a lane far, far, away
Rivian R1T has 11k tow capacity, regardless of dual or quad motors. I don’t think the engine is the limiting factor, but the wheelbase

Arctic_White

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S Plaid; CT on order
Country flag
EDIT TO ADD:

Have bolted up a compare (in heat map) of interior dimensions:

As suspected (by some) for a while, interior dimensions come in nearest to a Chevy Avalanche, but with width at hips (determining seat width) being comparable to a Toyota Tacoma - which explains the lack of 6th seat, but also portends a rather narrow rear seat that is "5 passengers" in name along the lines of a Tacoma (though CT's better shoulder width will help a touch).

View attachment 28392

Next is a heat map that essentially demonstrates the design thesis of the Cybertruck:

• *nearly* full-sized BEV truck cargo area,
  • *nearly* mid-sized footprint/agility (but an ~F150 wheelbase, mitigated by 4WS)
  • somewhat *better* than mid-sized interior volume, at least in terms of rear seat legroom, but basically mid-sized seat width

View attachment 28395
This is super helpful; thank you!

Can you do the heat map for the exterior dimensions as well, please?

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
I am more than disappointed to determine that the cargo bed is actually smaller than a 2012 Toyota Tacoma. How could this truck be so long and yet so disappointing?
because the CT offers far better 2nd row legroom than any Tacoma.

the CT basically offers a rather attractive compromise between interior specs and bed cargo

but meanwhile, compared to the Tacoma, the CT also offers 7ft3 of Frunk, ~3.5ft3 of sub-bed storage, and it’s longer/bigger back seat (with chairs folded up), provide probably 15ft3 of rear cabin cargo room.

so all-in-all, while the CT bed proper is nominally shorter than a Tacom’s 6’2” bed, the CT manages to offer a lot more cargo space elsewhere, and a lot more rear seat room than a Tacoma (at least in terms of leg room - but not much more in terms of seat width)

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Here's the Silverado EV dimensions instead of the Avalanche.
I was for now only considering trucks that exist and can be purchased by retail buyers

when the Silverado exists, I’ll add it happily

maybe I’ll add it anyway, but put a cute little ghost emoji next to the name

Fvansan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma and pre-ordered a cybertruck dual motor
Occupation
Retired Psychiatric Social Worker
Country flag
Pretty disappointed with the 72.8” bed length.
Wish the power outlets were higher capacity along with outlets in the frunk.
If this is accurate, could have bought a Lightning with similar to better specs.

Rick
U still can buy the Ford, just cancel u’re C
because the CT offers far better 2nd row legroom than any Tacoma.

the CT basically offers a rather attractive compromise between interior specs and bed cargo

but meanwhile, compared to the Tacoma, the CT also offers 7ft3 of Frunk, ~3.5ft3 of sub-bed storage, and it’s longer/bigger back seat (with chairs folded up), provide probably 15ft3 of rear cabin cargo room.

so all-in-all, while the CT bed proper is nominally shorter than a Tacom’s 6’2” bed, the CT manages to offer a lot more cargo space elsewhere, and a lot more rear seat room than a Tacoma (at least in terms of leg room - but not much more in terms of seat width)
I would be more than satisfied in less rear interior space for more bed room. Too bad that isn’t an option.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Rivian R1T has 11k tow capacity, regardless of dual or quad motors. I don’t think the engine is the limiting factor, but the wheelbase
On one hand, Rivian goes to show the engines # / power doesn’t alone correlate to more towing #

On the other hand, I personally feel Rivian’s towing stats are a bit whompy, and more in line with a mid-sized truck’s towing stats. Which is to say, people who tow a lot would say, sure a Tacoma “tows” that much, but I wouldn’t want to tow that much with a Tacoma.

Just look at the Rivian’s payload, and do the math on what 1,100lb max tongue weight does to it’s payload - you can toe 11K lbs with it if your petite wife (and only your wife) is driving

TacoTuesday

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY
Country flag
If these specs are right, CT basically sacrificed a lot of the front (frunk) space for more passenger and bed space. Personally not sure if the trade off is worth it

TacoTuesday

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY
Country flag
On one hand, Rivian goes to show the engines # / power doesn’t alone correlate to more towing #

On the other hand, I personally feel Rivian’s towing stats are a bit whompy, and more in line with a mid-sized truck’s towing stats. Which is to say, people who tow a lot would say, sure a Tacoma “tows” that much, but I wouldn’t want to tow that much with a Tacoma.

Just look at the Rivian’s payload, and do the math on what 1,100lb max tongue weight does to it’s payload - you can toe 11K lbs with it if your petite wife (and only your wife) is driving
Flat out false. People have towed 15k with R1T and they say it handled perfectly fine. Just not recommended

Fvansan

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma and pre-ordered a cybertruck dual motor
Occupation
Retired Psychiatric Social Worker
Country flag
totally understandable position.

the Tacoma is right there waiting for you
I already have one, the CT is it’s replacement. My Taco is a mid-size and CT was to be full size, or at least that was my impression. I was wrong.

OP
OP
cvalue13

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Flat out false. People have towed 15k with R1T and they say it handled perfectly fine. Just not recommended
great - same quip applies to all other trucks, too, people can tow a lot more than tow rating in many trucks (esp those with adaptive air leveling)

are we talking tow ratings here or when people exceed tow ratings

and who ever said that the R1T towed 15K pounds “perfectly fine” would have to talk not to me, but people who tow regularly, heavy, long distances

because the point of ‘towing well’ and tow ratings, isn’t to say what it can tow in essentially ideal or near ideal conditions

it’s to say how the truck behaves when shit hits the fan

I don’t need to argue about what the Rivian does at 11k lbs, though.

the point is that the CT is also rated at 11k lbs
Sponsored