Will the Cybertruck's weight crack my driveway?

CyberSleuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hot Wheels 1:10 Cybertruck
Country flag
I know I know, a criticism thread - I'm sorry. ;)

While we have no concrete numbers (pun intended) on how much the Cybertruck will weigh, we can make an educated guess based on its competitors:
The Rivian R1T has a curb weight of 7148 lbs
The Hummer EV has a curb weight of 9063 lbs.

We don't know how the armor glass and stainless steel will affect the CT's weight, but let's say it's in the middle at 8105 lbs.
Several sources state that the average 4" poured concrete driveway is designed to "withstand loads of regular vehicles up to approximately 8,000lbs".

Does that mean this will be my driveway after a year?
Tesla Cybertruck Will the Cybertruck's weight crack my driveway? concrete-crater-bi
Sponsored

PilotPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, BMW, M3LR on order
Occupation
Chief Pilot
Country flag
Yes, the CT has thick SS skin. Yes, it has armored glass. But most people are assuming this will increase the weight. Think about it. What if using the skin and glass as stressed members allows you to eliminate the heavy frame on a truck? (It does) What if the gigacasting provides for a lighter single piece than the 400 or so parts welded, riveted and bonded together? (It should) What if the structural battery pack further helps to lighten the vehicle? (It should) Instead of saying that the Rivian weighs 7100#, and therefore the CT MUST be heavier, what if it ends of the same or LIGHTER???

As for your concrete question, it depends on your substrate.

Last edited:

Eye of Elon

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Yaris
Occupation
Driver
Country flag
I don't care about my driveway, my neighbors probably care more about my driveway than I do.

Will it crack my garage floor?

Alpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My 2019 Ford 4 door 2.7L Crew Cab STX 2x4 has a curb weight of 4584lbs sticker says 4600

charliemagpie

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CybrBEAST
Occupation
retired
Country flag
I wonder what FSD will do here ?

Tesla Cybertruck Will the Cybertruck's weight crack my driveway? 1696032077206

HAL GALLUS

First Name
HAL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MODLE 3
Country flag
I was wondering, will I see a CYBERTRUCK in the wild before I get my CYBERTRUCK delivery?

OP
OP
CyberSleuth

CyberSleuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hot Wheels 1:10 Cybertruck
Country flag
I don't care about my driveway, my neighbors probably care more about my driveway than I do.

Will it crack my garage floor?
Good point. Mine won't fit in the garage, so the driveway will have to do.

JBee

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
. Professional Hobbyist
Country flag

While we have no concrete numbers (pun intended) on how much the Cybertruck will weigh, we can make an educated guess based on its competitors:

We don't know how the armor glass and stainless steel will affect the CT's weight, but let's say it's in the middle at 8105 lbs.
Several sources state that the average 4" poured concrete driveway is designed to "withstand loads of regular vehicles up to approximately 8,000lbs".

concrete-crater-big.jpg
Very unlikely it will crack your concrete from the extra weight in comparison to another truck.

It's all about the pressure area onto the concrete and tyre pressure used, the CT tyres have a large contact patch on the tyres, so forces to the ground will be the same if not less, even with a higher vehicle mass. That's why concrete trucks have so many axles and wheels.

Most cracking is the result of thermal differences, ice, water or insufficient compaction and support by the underlying substrate. But a crack normally doesn't make a hole, unless you live in Kentucky near Mammoth Cave. There it swallows whole Corvette Museums.

RVAC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
-

concrete-crater-big.jpg
F-150 Lightning:

Base Curb Weight - Extended Range Battery6,361 lbs.

Cybertruck is shorter, will have a smaller battery and is unibody instead of body on frame. Make of that what you will.

Bill837

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Z4, 2015 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2008 R1200RT
Occupation
Aviation Weapons/Systems
Country flag
F-150 Lightning:

Base Curb Weight - Extended Range Battery6,361 lbs.

Cybertruck is shorter, will have a smaller battery and is unibody instead of body on frame. Make of that what you will.
Pardon me while I laugh from the front seat of a unibody 8,500lb Silverado EV. :) Of course some of that is stupid big battery weight.

I know what Cory said before he left, and while I understand there is a unibody center section, I really think the steel and castings have allowed that center piece to be significantly lighter than it might otherwise be.

Which means we agree that the CT will be lighter than most folks expect, I think between 6500lbs and 7000lbs

SentinelOne

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
See Sig
Occupation
IT
Country flag
my current gmc 2500 weighs around 8k and no challenges. Hoping the CT will be somewhat lighter than the competition...6500lbs would be awesome but guessing closer to 7000-7500lbs

C T Rick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Dodge Sprinter 3500, 2015 Nissan NV 3500, 2013 Chevy Traverse
Occupation
Plumbing Contractor
Country flag
My driveway has supported 3 plumbing trucks plus a suv all at the same time for the past 22 years since I poured it. Granted it’s 6” thick with rebar at 12” centers and brick ribbon expansion joints at 10’ centers.

Unless your driveway is built with clay Mexican pavers on dirt, your Cybertruck will not crack a 4” concrete driveway.

Rick
Sponsored