What are teenagers problems with Cybertruck?

SGAstros

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, GR86, Bronco
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I don’t know if others have similar experience, but as I drive around in CT, most reactions are good/fun, but I’ve had several teenagers flip me off, yell “I hate your truck”, and just today, a girl roll down her window and just yell “F*ck You”.

Perhaps it’s the storyline that they’re dangerous? Or bad for the environment? Something on TikTok saying they’re evil?

*Update
To be clear, I don’t really care that there are people that don’t like it, I love the truck and care about my reasons. But I am curious some of the why’s behind the hate, and it’s been interesting to hear other owner’s exp with different groups.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Cybertruck2024

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning and Model 3
Country flag
I took my 17 year old niece and some of her friends to the mall in my Lightning. They loved the frunk when I put all their bags in there. I said "my frunk is going to be a bit smaller soon when my CT gets here."

I didn't expect the negative reaction at this point, but they all basically told me I was awful for buying it. The only one who gave a reason was that it is incredibly unsafe with no crumple zone, any occupant gets severely hurt in a crash even if the truck looks fine. Then that's all they talked about, how unsafe the CT was, until I dropped them off at home.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
I don’t know if others have similar experience, but as I drive around in CT, most reactions are good/fun, but I’ve had several teenagers flip me off, yell “I hate your truck”, and just today, a girl roll down her window and just yell “F*ck You”.

Perhaps it’s the storyline that they’re dangerous? Or bad for the environment? Something on TikTok saying they’re evil?
Teenagers hate everything. Teenagers love everything

Teenagers are easily impressed with peer pressure.

Assuming that you don't have any other nomenclature, like signs, custom tags, etc., it becomes the same as coal rollers. If I'm not mistaken, some of the biggest illegal diesel modification companies were in Utah.

So it becomes "Save the World" as long as "Don't Tread on Me".

I dare say that someone in the group owns a jacked-up diesel pickup.

OP
OP
SGAstros

SGAstros

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500, GR86, Bronco
Occupation
Tech
Country flag
I took my 17 year old niece and some of her friends to the mall in my Lightning. They loved the frunk when I put all their bags in there. I said "my frunk is going to be a bit smaller soon when my CT gets here."

I didn't expect the negative reaction at this point, but they all basically told me I was awful for buying it. The only one who gave a reason was that it is incredibly unsafe with no crumple zone, any occupant gets severely hurt in a crash even if the truck looks fine. Then that's all they talked about, how unsafe the CT was, until I dropped them off at home.
I've heard the no crumple zone thing too a few times.

Cybertruck26

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y LR
Occupation
Engineer, Space nerd
Country flag

They are Gen Z'ers... easier to just accept that generation as a dud.

HyperReality

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CB650f
Country flag
Social media is a weapon these days for politics and commerce - depending on what the consumers algorithm is will determine what echo-chamber they are blasted by. Unfortunate.
CT is definitely polarizing enough that you essentially have social unrest due to it being associated with EM, and also because Electrification has become politically charged. The CT is sadly muddled in all kinds of drama.

The other aspect of the CT is that it's basically got the unrefined sharp look...

It's like walking around a square or round table. The round one doesn't make you twist sharply to avoid the corners, just smoothly go around it.

Lot's of reasons the CT is going to be more irritating to people.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag

Did you show her the videos of the 2 accidents so far?

For both of these, I think that the crumble zone worked very differently than Tesla expected.
In both situations, there was no serious injury to the Cybertruck occupants.

And the crumble zones were the other vehicles. The Cybertrucks were barely deformed.

First reported Tesla Cybertruck accident results in only ‘minor’ injury - The Verge
Tesla Cybertruck Gets T-Boned by a Nissan Sentra, It Barely Felt Anything - autoevolution

Drivers don't normally walk away from being t-boned like those.
I think that brick walls have put up less of a fight than the Cybertruck did.

Tesla did their job!
Sponsored