Turn signal idea for 3D printers or accessory vendors.

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
A column stalk is extremely intuitive because you flip it in the same direction as you intend to turn the wheel. You do not need to look or think about it. Currently there are no textures or features to differentiate left from right on the controls.

I propose adding a joy stick or rocker switch that adheres to the controls with adhesive. I am including a very rough example of the idea, please do improve on it (looks and feel). The green section is what adheres to the area with the horizontal line separator on the controls.

It should return to center when not pressed.

1718648418735-te.png

1718649337579-9p.png

1718649359096-lm.png

UPDATE:
Protype completed. I ended up making a much simpler design than my original proposal.

The good: It works perfect and I love it. I think a sharper profile would feel a little better.
The bad: It looks very rough, I think a 3D printer or professionally make products would have a much better looking result.

I hope someone takes this idea and makes an accessory with it. Or I hope someone finds a better suited switch or bumper that can be bought off the shelf to do the same thing.,

I started with a rubber foot and trimmed it down:
Uncut.jpg
InPlace.jpg

Sponsored

Last edited:

Spacenoddle

First Name
Nan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
IT
Country flag
I don't like the turn signal as well, i need to look at it to make sure when i need to press, at least 3 weeks 1300 miles after, my muscle memory is still not be build up yet. I know the design made the whole thing more clean but not very convenient.

Dazureus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Model X, '21 Model Y
Occupation
Software Engineer - Steering Systems
Country flag
Not a bad idea for a person to transition or remap to the buttons, but after driving for a few weeks, I don't think it would be necessary. The ridge between the left and right turn signals provide a tactile reference for the two buttons and the Cybertruck uses tactile physical switches rather than capacitive touch switches. So you're getting a good feedback feel when you actuate the turn signal.

Also, the directions, right on top and left on bottom are the same as the turn stalk directions, and both are in the direction you're going to turn the wheel. With a stalk, your fingers index the stalk, then push up or down. With the buttons, your thumb indexes the ridge, then pushes up or down. Just takes a little mental remapping.

OP
OP
Pops

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
Not a bad idea for a person to transition or remap to the buttons, but after driving for a few weeks, I don't think it would be necessary. ... Just takes a little mental remapping.
You are not wrong, but I have not yet become accustom to it and its just an inferior design. An example I would give would be a traditional mechanical keyboard vs a flat capacitive keyboard. Both serve the same function, but you would be hard-pressed to find anyone that is finds the flat capacitive keyboard better.

I am not saying the current design is unusable, I am just looking for an accessory to improve it.

CapheDa

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 3P
Occupation
Investor
Country flag
I’ve been saying I wish that the steering wheel turn signal was like a motorcycle’s turn signal. This is close to that. With a motorcycle’s turn signal you know whether it is Left, Off or Right using only your thumb - no eyes or ears required. Easy to cancel (push in) too. Sometimes the standard adopted everywhere is the best.

A less knobby version could be recreated by Tesla by using haptic feedback. What if the left and right buttons were raised a bit and vibrated in sync with the blinker? When I am changing lanes quickly I can’t tell if the CT is cancelling my signal or not due to the lane change.

IMG_4594.jpeg

kpett

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y Performance
Occupation
STEM Teacher
Country flag
I was thinking of ways to remember which way is which, but it really isn’t necessary. It does become muscle memory quickly and I now have a hard time going back to my wife’s Y.

If you need a way to remember, a stalk moves up to turn right and the top button signals right.

A stalk moving down turns left and the bottom button signals left.

I love the mods people are coming up with but you need to be careful with this one. I remember stories of people mounting stalks on steering wheels to help them turn, but they would get stuck in the hole at the bottom of men’s dress shirts and cause accidents.

Good luck whichever way you go. Just signal before you change directions;)

BeFamousVideo

First Name
Vincent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telsa M3 Long Range. CT Beast expected 3/2024
Occupation
AI Automation Agency owner
Country flag
I don't like the turn signal as well, i need to look at it to make sure when i need to press, at least 3 weeks 1300 miles after, my muscle memory is still not be build up yet. I know the design made the whole thing more clean but not very convenient.
A couple hundred more miles and you'll be there. I had the same issue always looking down. Now I feel my way and don't need to look at all.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, Model Y, Cybertruck AWD
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
A column stalk is extremely intuitive because you flip it in the same direction as you intend to turn the wheel. You do not need to look or think about it. Currently there are no textures or features to differentiate left from right on the controls.

I propose adding a joy stick or rocker switch that adheres to the controls with adhesive. I am including a very rough example of the idea, please do improve on it (looks and feel). The green section is what adheres to the area with the horizontal line separator on the controls.

It should return to center when not pressed.
I'm confused. I don't remember any up/down turn signals on any vehicles?
Or are you referring to which way you are about to turn the wheel, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Isn't up and down on the stalk analogous to the up and down buttons on the steering wheel?

OP
OP
Pops

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
I'm confused. I don't remember any up/down turn signals on any vehicles?
Or are you referring to which way you are about to turn the wheel, clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Isn't up and down on the stalk analogous to the up and down buttons on the steering wheel?
You are proving my point. You didnt realize you have been doing an up/down switch with a stalk, its that intuitive. When the stalk is on the left, turning left would flip the stalk down, right up. But you do not even think about that, you make the same motion as you would turning the wheel, with a loose grip and a finger extended to move the stalk.

With this idea it would be similar. You do not need to think Up=right, down=left, you simply move your hand in the same motion you would to turn the wheel while releasing the wheel and your finger(thumb) would trigger the correct signal.

With the current setup yes its possible to build the muscle memory, but there is nothing that makes the 2 buttons distinct. They are half an inch away from each other and both are smooth. I just feel it can be improved on.

Last edited:

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
You are proving my point. You didnt realize you have been doing an up/down switch with a stalk, its that intuitive. When the stalk is on the left, turning left would flip the stalk down, right up. But you do not even think about that, you make the same motion as you would turning the wheel, with a loose grip and a finger extended to move the stalk.

With this idea it would be similar. You do not need to think Up=right, down=left, you simply move your hand in the same motion you would to turn the wheel while releasing the wheel and your finger(thumb) would trigger the correct signal.

With the current setup yes its possible to build the muscle memory, but there is nothing that makes the 2 buttons distinct. They are half an inch away from each other and both are smooth. I just feel it can be improved on.
You really seem to miss the analogy. It's the exact same up and down!

There is a dimple between the buttons if I remember correctly.

BritX

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
cybertruck
Country flag
We should be able to reprogram the buttons so we can swap the right to the. Right button the the yolk…

OP
OP
Pops

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
You really seem to miss the analogy. It's the exact same up and down!

There is a dimple between the buttons if I remember correctly.
Pressing a button at X,Y coordinate and a different button at X,Y-1 is not the same as mimicking the motion of turning the wheel with 1 finger extended. Its completely different, I am simply proposing an accessory to mimic the operation of what 99% of cars do.

cybertruckwaldo

First Name
Willie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Cybertruck AWD FS
Country flag
I have actually grown to be use to it.

I don't mind it since I can manipulate the turn signals with one hand. Not sure that I would prefer the move of the right turn button to the right side of the steering wheel as some have suggested.

That would force me to use my resting right hand to manipulate it when I am only using my left hand to steer as I approach a turn.

It took a while but I probably have a 99% accuracy rate when pushing the turn signals today. I took deliver at the end of march.

Woodrick

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Consultant
Country flag
Pressing a button at X,Y coordinate and a different button at X,Y-1 is not the same as mimicking the motion of turning the wheel with 1 finger extended. Its completely different, I am simply proposing an accessory to mimic the operation of what 99% of cars do.
You are working really hard to be a stuck in the past for stupid reasons person.

Let's take you back to what is probably centuries after you were born, you should remember this.

The original method of indicating turns was with hand gestures, which was carried over from the horse-drawn carriage era. However, this proved to be impractical in inclement weather and posed dangers to pedestrians and cyclists.

What? Up right? How stupid was this?

1718802064729-mx.png

Talking about over used buttons!

The sooner you stop fighting it, the sooner it will become second nature to you.

OP
OP
Pops

Pops

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY, CyberBeast
Country flag
The sooner you stop fighting it, the sooner it will become second nature to you.
Chill buddy. Why are you pushing so hard for someone else to accept what you want.

It's really simple, I have seen and used Tesla's implementation for months and it's not my preference. Yes I can get used to it, and I have, but I do not like it. It is worse, and I do not need to just accept that.
Sponsored