John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cybertruck
Occupation
Environmental Health
Country flag
Payload capacity is a huge limitation on truck bed camper type we can install. Shatter resistant, i hope that's not included in price and an option.
Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Silverado EV towing is 12,500 lbs and payload is 2,500 lbs. The higher numbers were announced in September.
Chevy isn’t even making a Silverado EV for retail buyers: they released a fleet-only work truck, and people already talk like it’s remotely relevant to discussions in 2023!

Chevy CEO: “do we have any BEV trucks to sell?”

Chevy CFO: “to the public? No. We’ve got a few dozen fleet-only trucks we are going to “sell” to strategic fleet partners - sort of a marketing ploy, like Tesla’s Semi and Pepsi”

Chevy CEO: “do you think our customers will notice these trucks aren’t really for sale?”

CFO: “not a chance”

CEO: “push it out. What’s next on agenda?”

CFO: “you just freed up the schedule until around 2025”

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, Cyberbeast 113344xxx
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
to be fair-fair, Tesla took refundable $100 fees as “indications of interest” alongside a document that, for anyone paying attention, screamed “THIS GUARANTEES YOU NOTHING AT NO PARTICULAR TIME BECAUSE WE JUST A MONTH AGO DREAMT UP THIS WHOLE THING”

The $100 was not a pre-order. It was a 200,000,000 loan to Tesla alongside a marketing ploy whereby Tesla could tell the street how ravenous people were for a Tesla BEV truck.

And I thank them for it, because I suspect it’s how I came to have my Lightning nearly 2 years ago now
Not much of a loan - those are refundable which requires them to be put into trust. Tesla can't touch that money.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L
Occupation
Fun-employed
Country flag
Not much of a loan - those are refundable which requires them to be put into trust. Tesla can't touch that money.
Escrow

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by “touch”

Tesla is free to place those amounts in interest-bearing escrow accounts.

Not like that’s world-shattering money for Tesla.

But I’d have rather put my $100 into TSLA in 2019, than in Tesla’s interest-bearing escrow accounts.

Deleted member 20282

The CyberTruck is going to be a great vehicle - for what it is.

However, it is not perfect for every use case.

F250 and GM and Ram 2500 (and 3500s) and going to be better for a number of use cases.

The Cybertruck should be compared to the F150.

Need to tow? Have a diesel with a 35 galloon tank? Have a Ram 2500 or dualie? Those are probably better to stick with.
If sales numbers supported the move, Ford could have put the lightning driveline into an F-350 and we’d see how high the platform can go with double the battery pack and a 1 ton chassis. We already know that transplant would not be difficult as the F-150 and Super Duty share a lot of interchangeable components (engines, electronics, rear ends, etc).

Based on truck sales being a fraction of pre-orders, I don’t suspect there’s any motivation to do this though.

ICE, in particular Turbo Diesel, is still gobs ahead of EV in power/range when you factor torque multiplication, these things are putting thousands of ft-lbs of torque down. Tires are the limiter, not the drivelines.

TyPope

First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 MYLR, '23 Mavrick Hybrid, Cyberbeast 113344xxx
Occupation
Current Operations for... an organization
Country flag
Escrow

I suppose it all depends on what you mean by “touch”

Tesla is free to place those amounts in interest-bearing escrow accounts.

Not like that’s world-shattering money for Tesla.

But I’d have rather put my $100 into TSLA in 2019, than in Tesla’s interest-bearing escrow accounts.
Back when Elio Motors was a thing, "reservations" caused a lot of "He is just going to keep all the money and run" comments. No, refundable deposits can't be "spent" like that. But, non-refundable deposits CAN be. A lesson I learned the hard way. :(

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
If sales numbers supported the move, Ford could have put the lightning driveline into an F-350 and we’d see how high the platform can go with double the battery pack and a 1 ton chassis. We already know that transplant would not be difficult as the F-150 and Super Duty share a lot of interchangeable components (engines, electronics, rear ends, etc).

Based on truck sales being a fraction of pre-orders, I don’t suspect there’s any motivation to do this though.

ICE, in particular Turbo Diesel, is still gobs ahead of EV in power/range when you factor torque multiplication, these things are putting thousands of ft-lbs of torque down. Tires are the limiter, not the drivelines.
A very large number of Cybertruck buyers will have never owned a pickup before, let alone care about ft-lbs of torque.

They are buying an Electric vehicle that looks radically different than a Model Y or Model 3. The fact that it is a pickup is just secondary.

The reality is the waiting list for the Cybertruck is so massive, the first 2+ years of production will be snapped up like blind squirrels falling into a pit full of cracked walnuts.

Deleted member 20282

I hope so, I have a 14 k trailer and I need to haul my 12 k JD 350 C crawler.
You would be exceeding the rated and safe capacities of the vehicle and charting into unknown liability. I have heard tales of people getting tickets for overloading vehicles over rated capacity in the door placard and getting tickets. Or RV owners getting insurance claims denied.

And as a general rule, you will hit payload before you hit tow capacity, so virtually no chance you get to 15k or 11k. For example, my Jayco Eagle 28’ trailer weighs 8k but has 1,400 lbs. When you factor payload includes passengers and gear. An F-150 is maxed out and can’t tow the 8k lb trailer safely because of payload.

Cyberman3000

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Gladiator, 2022 Model S
Occupation
Network Engineer
Country flag
This is GOLD! You are posting on a thread that contains a picture of the advertised numbers for the Cybertruck..
There is a cool thing called Google that I looked up all the Rivian data on...

So using the numbers on the poster, that you must have missed, I gave my opinion. 😂

Deleted member 20282

A very large number of Cybertruck buyers will have never owned a pickup before, let alone care about ft-lbs of torque.

They are buying an Electric vehicle that looks radically different than a Model Y or Model 3. The fact that it is a pickup is just secondary.

The reality is the waiting list for the Cybertruck is so massive, the first 2+ years of production will be snapped up like blind squirrels falling into a pit full of cracked walnuts.

Yeah, it’s a pickup that can’t do most of normal pickup things. They lost the bulk of the work crowd when someone can’t move their toolbox or anything over without buying a new one. Can’t do a gooseneck or 5th wheel with that bed rail set up. Parts seem fragile and thin. I’ve never been trusting of unibody type trucks and it will be interesting to see if this holds up under heavy use like a full frame truck does. Air suspension is more gimmick to me, it doesn’t hold up well on the Ram 2500 and the other OEM’s didn’t adopt it for reasons. Leaf spring is still effective.

It’s a response to the disproven narrative (see the 40% of F-150 sales that go Fleet as example, or owner surveys saying 25%+ tow) that most truck people just own trucks to feel good about driving. I guess I’m keeping my F-350 right next to my F-150 lightning for a good while.

intimidator

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lariat Lightning
Country flag
Yeah, it’s a pickup that can’t do most of normal pickup things. They lost the bulk of the work crowd when someone can’t move their toolbox or anything over without buying a new one. Can’t do a gooseneck or 5th wheel with that bed rail set up. Parts seem fragile and thin. I’ve never been trusting of unibody type trucks and it will be interesting to see if this holds up under heavy use like a full frame truck does. Air suspension is more gimmick to me, it doesn’t hold up well on the Ram 2500 and the other OEM’s didn’t adopt it for reasons. Leaf spring is still effective.

It’s a response to the disproven narrative (see the 40% of F-150 sales that go Fleet as example, or owner surveys saying 25%+ tow) that most truck people just own trucks to feel good about driving. I guess I’m keeping my F-350 right next to my F-150 lightning for a good while.
Definitely keep the F-350.

That is way more "truck" then the Cyberpunk EV Tesla will start slowly selling in January.
Sponsored